ABOVE THE TIE M2 vs MUHLE R89 ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by italian-class, Jan 30, 2017.

1. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Anyone is familiar with both Muhle R89 and ATT M2 ?
    I have decided to but one razor from "Above the Tie" and i was suggested the M2 head..
    I just wanted to make sure is not similar to theR89 which i already have.
    I currently own two Muhle:
    R89 and R41.
    The R89 is way too mild and cannot get a very close shave while the R41 is an exceptional razor and deliver a very close shave but is also very aggressive and therefore requires a lot of time.
    Looking for an everyday razor that can give me a close shave but not as aggressive as the R41.
    Should i be ok with the M2?
    Any help would be highly apprciated.

2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I have the m2 and I find it to be pretty efficient. I started with a Metkur instead of the r89. The m2 is more efficient than the Merkur, so I assume the same would apply to the Muhle. I think it would be a good place to start. ATT has 30 return/exchange policy, so you could always go up to the r2 if you don't like the m plate.

3. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Many thanks for the reply!
    I get mixed opinions.. some thinks is comparable to R89 and suggest me to go for the ATT R2.. Some instead thinks that R2 is very aggressive..
    Do you have the Muhle R41 too?
    I know i can return it but of course i would prefer to get the right razor at first shot.
    I leaning more towards the M2 but still a little undecided.

4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I don't have the R2 or R41. It's my understanding that the R2 is a big jump up in aggressiveness from the M2, but I can't speak from personal experience. I think the M2 is mild, but I would put it equal to my standard gap Wolfman OC as far as efficiency goes. The Blackbird is more efficient than both. You could always start with the M2 to use as a daily shaver and buy the R2 at a later time to use when you skip a day or more.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can't tell you how a razor will shave for you, I can say ATT is a top notch razor (pick your flavor) and Stan has a 30 day return policy.
    This hobby is all about trying new/old things that work for you.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would place the R plates right about in the middle between the R89 and the R41. The M is similar to the 89, maybe just a bit more efficient. The H plate is right very similar to the R41.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Italian-class, I can save you some money. I have a tough beard, and I too found the Muhle R89 was a little mild. Otherwise it is an outstanding razor.

I installed 2 shims in my R89 and had a few minor weepers. So I now use one shim in the R89 and nothing shaves better. Perfection personified!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks and helpful suggestions!
    I have decided to go for the ATT ATLAS with "M2" base plate...
    I can always change it for the R2 if is too mild for me but i have the feeling that i will end up having a set of different base plates from them.. :)
    I only hear very good reviews about ATT and i really could not resist!
    Cannot wait to try it! I'll post back my review as soon as it arrives.