ACEVIVI dual comb razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Dec 23, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

As an experienced wet shaver for many years, I have an extensive collection of razors ranging from very inexpensive to those costing hundreds of dollars.

I bought this made in China ACEVIVI, as a friend recommended it, and I was curious about the dual comb configuration. I really didn't expect much at this price point and thought if nothing else I would reuse the handle. What a pleasant surprise this razor provided.

The fit and finish of the razor is near perfect with beautiful heavy chrome plating. The laser etched "ACEVIVI" head assembly is aluminum alloy and the handle is chromed steel. The overall balance is still very nice because the availability of various grip placements with the long handle. The razor weighs in at a hefty 93 grams (3.28 oz.). The 4”length is great for those preferring long handles or those with large hands such as myself. The deep but comfortable knurling on the handle is some of the best I've seen, providing an excellent grip without being overly sharp.

The blade alignment is excellent with equal blade exposure on both sides using several different brands of blades.

The razor comes in a very nice black presentation box, suggesting a much more expensive razor, with five ACEVIVI blades (which I have not yet used) and a heavy black high density foam insert.

The shave characteristics of this razor are excellent. One side is open comb and the other is closed comb representing the best of both worlds. This is the first dual comb razor I've seen. After two shaves, I didn't note a significant difference in aggressiveness between the two sides. The razor has significant blade exposure and blade gap and is definitely an aggressive razor providing a very close shave. In spite of the blade exposure and gap, it provided an exceptionally smooth and comfortable shave.

Overall, this razor is an exceptional buy and out-shaves many high end razors costing many times more. With proper care, this razor should last a lifetime.
    Amazon @ $15.99 and some direct from China websites have it for as little as $8.00 plus shipping.

ACEVIVI Razor.JPG

2. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Hmm... Interesting. You do know about the recent addition of the Fendrihan combo razor, right? I'm interested in the concept but would like a version that provides mild on one side and aggressive on the other. What scant information I've seen on the Fendrihan suggests it's aggressive on both sides.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice write up, very nice read. Thanks for sharing. The razor is nice looking but if both sides provide the same shave doesn't that negate the aggressive/mild claim.?. :)

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

had anyone asked the makers why the dual comb?

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Do you have an actual picture? I'd like to see what it looks like. Interesting. Very informative write-up. Thank you!! :)

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

This site has it for $6.49 with $2.35 shipping no tracking number for a grand total of $8.84. Seems you can't go wrong at that price for an experimental razor . I ordered one in an effort to end my 2015 RAD with a final low priced item to play with.

upload_2015-12-23_10-19-49.png

More pictures at the link provided.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Interesting. Looks like a Muhle and a New short comb had a love child.

8. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I've considered the Fendrihan and $40.00 for a stainless steel razor seems quite reasonable, especially considering it has some good reviews. It is made in China and has a cast stainless head and very nice looking handle.

It seems, there are also some other options for a dual comb:
    http://ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-heads/shavecraft-101-head/

The ACEVIVI razor is still new to me and I think I need a few more shaves to learn it nuances. I'll report back to the forum after I have a little more experience with it.

9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Because of the review I also ordered one... I had the exactly opposite experience.

First, loading the blade is a real trouble as you really have to align it manually, and not only the blade but the base plate too. The base plate is able to slide a lot to the sides.
    The plating was definitely among the worst I have seen. At several places you can see the copper because the chrome is not fully covering.

My current favorites are Merkur 15C, Pearl OC and R41. I am able to rotate at any point between these 3 razors. Not even the R41 gives me the same irritation as the first shave with this razor gave me. I do have extra sensitive skin: it is so dry that flakes are even coming off even without shaving. This razor definitely did not fit my face. Then there is another option too: As the plating was bad, my razor might have some other problems too.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I ordered one of these on November 28, 2016, from China. It finally showed up in CT. So, I expect it will make it to my house sometime in the next week. It was $9.99 with shipping, so I figured I'd give it a shot. We shall see. I will post real pictures when I get it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    IT'S HERE! Gillette month. so,it won't see action until January.
    acevivi 14.JPG
    acevivi 10.JPG acevivi 11.JPG acevivi 12.JPG acevivi 13.JPG acevivi 14.JPG acevivi 15.JPG acevivi 16.JPG acevivi 17.JPG

Carbide Mike, Jorvaljr and Demidog like this.
  14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I'm looking forward to using it, too. By January, my shoulder hopefully will be better, and I will be shaving with my right hand and typing with both hands.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Jorvaljr and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Similar design to the Ikon 101.

HERM

Jorvaljr likes this.