Adding fruit extracts to aftershave

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Ursa, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I've been considering adding food-grade pure fruit extracts to some of the aftershave splashes that have been sitting around here, unloved, due to aromas that just don't stir my soul.

Is there any good reason NOT to do this? The extracts--in this case McCormick Non-GMO Pure Lemon, Lime, and Mint--are ethyl-alcohol based and, unlike fresh juices, are shelf-stable. I also have distilled water and USP-grade glycerin on hand to tone down the added alcohol if need be.

I did a brief search on this topic on TSD, and came up empty. I'd welcome everyone's insights--thanks in advance!

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I guess you could give a go. I'm thinking essential oils would work better. Won't know till you try it!

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great question! Several members are into making products and working with products to scent soaps & aftershaves. I can't wait to see what they say!
    popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have never tried this. My suggestion is to make a very small batch and do a skin test. First and foremost, this will test for adverse reactions. Secondly, it will test to see if it gives you a desirable scent, before wasting a lot of product.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©