adjustable one good for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by monkeytennis, Jun 4, 2011.

1. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

Hi all,so I have just started using a badger brush to shave with and fancy trying a proper razor.are adjustable razors as good as fixed razors?in that an adjustable razor can be set to mild as I learn how.to use it and then change iit till I find the best setting?if so what do people advise as a first de razor?I currently use a king of shaves razor.Ed

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

You're going to get a ton of different answers, all good ones.

May I suggest you read through this?

I have and like the modern Merkur Futer, and the vintage Gillette Fatboy, Slim and Super adjustables.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

All adjustable's can be good once you have your technique dialed in. I prefer the Merkur Vision, Merkur Futur, and Gillette Super adjustable. YMMV

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That is a really wide open question but I'll try. There is a link in the shave school sticky that may help you decide. I personally would say to stay away from the adjustable until you get your technique settled. When you get it, you'll want to try all the different settings and starting out, that is one of the last things you want to do. I'd go with a fixed head razor, either a vintage Gillette of any sort, or a new one like a Merkur HD or a Muehle or Edwin Jagger DE 89L. The quality of any of those is top notch. There are some other decent razors out there you could get too, but if you are just wanting to learn without all of the extra things to get in your way, follow what I said. Besides, if you are anytyhing like the majority of us on here, you'll have a dozen or so razors in the first year anyway, but in case you don't go that route, the razors I mentioned above will not steer you wrong and are all resellable in the event you don't care for one.

Also, get a blade sampler pack; finding the right blade for you is essential and not all blades work for all faces or razors.

And welcome to The Den :D

5. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

Awsome advice all. What sites do you advise me to head to to buy?Have been looking at tradional shaving co. I am based in the UK?

6. swarden43

7. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

So if you had to have an ultimate beginners de razor what would it be? I quite like tweaking things! Would you recommend finding one on ebay or go for a new one? i guess my budget is around 30 pounds.

8. swarden43

The "ultimate beginner's razor"? There's no such thing. Some like modern, new, and shiny. Others like vintage, used, and well broken in. What I use, others have stated they can't get a decent shave with. What others love, I just can't use. The ultimate razor is the one you have, like, and can use to give you shaves that you like and enjoy.

Sorry. I know that doesn't answer your question, but there is no answer. Did you read the link I posted as to what razor to buy?

9. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Yup Swarden got it.

For 30 pounds I would recommend a slim or fatboy on ebay or a shaving forum. If you wanted to get a fixed one many love the EJ89l. There are many to choose from.

10. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

I have had a read of that. Seems adjustables are almost frowned upon!!! or am I reading too much between the lines!

11. swarden43

There are many who would not recommend an adjustable to a new shaver. The reason is the tendency to play with the adjustments before getting technique mastered. Trying this setting and that setting and not being happy with any of the results only because the new person doesn't know exactly what they're doing has turned many shavers away from DEs and back to *shudder* cartridge razors.

Most will suggest learning on a fixed head, be it a two piece (like the Merkur 34C), or a three piece (like the Gillette Tech), or a TTO (twist to open, like the Gillette Super Speeds, aka SS). It forces you to learn proper technique at one setting.

Once technique is mastered, then go for the adjustable.

Me? I say grab a razor and go for it. But you gotta be willing to stick with it. There may be a slight learning curve - the biggest thing to learn going from a cart to a DE is NO PRESSURE. You have to let the razor do the work. Another is that it's about beard reduction, not beard removal all on the first pass. Lots of folks make two passes (lathering up between each pass), many (self included) make three.

It's worth the learning. My dreaded morning "scrape the face" has turned into a spa-like "me time".

12. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

Fab advice! I have always liked shaving, and since trying my badger brush (thank you boots and the fact when my wife complained I argued it got her more points) feel that i should take more time over shaving I feel this is the way to go. As I think I said before I am fed up of cartridge shavers. The king of shaves one I am using now is good, but I have a few niggles with it, and the fusion power one i had before I got that was just plain awful. As I am a bit of a tinkerer (my wife is fed up of me changing fans on my PC, if only she know about my over clocking tinkerings) I think a fixed one is the way to go. But first to shaving cream that works for my skin I think..... (would that make sense?)

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

There are so many creams out there it is wonderful. If i were you i would see what is available locally. Then after doing that you can read up in the reviews and search for some items that you want to try. Then find the cheapest place for most of the items you are looking for.

Good luck in the search and start up. If you stick with it you will not regret it one bit (unless you get some AD)

14. monkeytennis

monkeytennis New Member

Well boots stock u-men shaving things (which is where my brush is from), but it seems that in the uk at least proper shaving is a well kept secret. (my dad burst out laughing when i told him I had a brush for shaving!) My wife however thinks its great!

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I think DE shaving is a well kept secret everywhere. Or at least most places as some companies want moeny so they sell you much more expensive razor heads and such.

But in the UK there are many great companies. The 3 Ts and many others. So that is lucky.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think an adjustable can be a fine starting razor (at least the vintage Gillettes, I've never tried a modern adjustable). The key is picking a reasonable but slightly mild sett ing, I'd suggest 3 or 4, and learning with that setting for a few weeks before adding the extra variable. If you can't leave it alone, then a fixed head is better.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I started with a Slim Adjustable and did fine, but I still couldn't resist the urge to mess with it. That is why I recommend a fixed razor to start. It can be done, but I lacked the discipline to leave the adjustment knob alone and it cost me in time. Luckily I didn't mess up long enough to lose the want to continue and revert back to goo and plastic. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying in my case, I could have saved a month of technique building time if I would have gotten a fixed head razor to begin with.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man this place is great...Well monkeytennis, you just got a ton of great advise...I think the team here at the Den covered it all...Not a shallow response in the bunch....You guys are great...
    BTW I love the Slim Adjustable but I think You can't beat a 40's style SS...Not when you're just starting or have been DE shaving for 20 years...:)

19. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

I think this is mostly YMMV. I'm new to wet shaving as well and started with a 1963 slim adjustable and was very glad I did. I started at "1" and slowly moved up as my technique improved. I recently used a '53 SS and to my novice experience that thing is crazy aggressive! At least for me I was glad to have the option of making my razor a little whimpier to start out.

20. Hex

Hex Member

I also agree with starting out with a simpler razor, and just to be different, I would suggest a Gillette Tech.

It's what I started with and it worked wonders. Let me see if I have an extra one that you can try............Yeppers, a fat handled, triangle slot.

What do the rest think about this as a starter ? If y'all agree, I will PIF it.

Oh yeah, along with a few Feather blades, and this combo according to me and others gives a great shave.