Advice needed

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cigarlover, May 16, 2016.

1. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Alright guys-

I need your advice. I've been shaving now for a week with a DE Safety razor and going great by the way. I'm thinking I might need to go with a sharper blade. Right now I started off with a mild Personna blade and noticed when shaving it wants to slightly pull the hair before cutting it. My pre-shave prep is good. I shave after I shower, use a pre-shave oil, and a great lather with Proraso Red shaving cream. My current razor is a 1930's Gillette New Open comb- which I love so far. For more information I am getting a great shave after a couple of passes but I think I should move on to a sharper blade. I have a sampler pack I just received and was wondering which blade I should progress to ?

1-Feather New
    2-Astra Platinum
    3-Derby Extra
    4-Personna Platinum (Israeli )
    5-Crystal

Thanks for the help guys !!!!!

AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What blade next? Doesn't matter. They all have their lovers and haters. Pick one and go, just be sure to keep a log on how the shave goes so you'll be able to back and see what works and what doesn't.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I know blade choices are personal preferences and YMMV, but I find the Astra blades provide me with a smoother shave than Personna blades. So, here's the order I might do.

Personna Israeli (I like these)
    Astra (love 'em)
    Feather (sharp, but not many shaves in them)
    Crystal (never used them)
    Derby (I can't stand these)

I think I understand your comment on Personna blades. Depending on the razor I'm using, Personna blades will exhibit some tugging in my shaves. Again, this varies from person to person.

simms623 and BigMike like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Sampler.

Everybody's perceptions of mild, sharp, agressive, smooth etc. is different. Grab a sampler with at least two of each type of blade you wanna try then go to town. I personally prefer Feathers and use them almost exclusively. There will be several following posts here that poo poo Feathers or any brand mentioned.

simms623, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It may not be the blade it may be the angle that you are holding the razor. check out the link below. With this technique even a Derby did not tug, and I have some tough wiskers. I found the Personna Platinum to be just as sharp as the Astra SP. Also you may find that the Crystal shaves remarkably similar to the Personna platinum, they are made in the same plant with the same coatings.

3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and BigMike like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

How many shaves did you get out of the blade before you noticed it pulling? I use a blade twice and never have an issue with tugging.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I'm always surprised at how many people go on same blade marathon shaves Kerry! As cheap as blades are. Consequently these are always the same folks that suffer from sloppy shaves and irritation but can't figure why. :D

8. cigarlover

As cheap as they are I was only doing 2 shaves per blade and then replacing with a new one. Might be the angle of my shave ? still a newbie at the safety razor but loving my shave time. I've got a few Personnas left so I'll finish off the pack and report back after I finish them off. Thanks for the info guys !!!! just learning how to shave at 45 years old :lyrtuy5:

AGHisBBS, George X and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Two shaves per blade is spot on. Enjoy trying new blades it's fun and you no doubt will find some favorites. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Sounds like angle to me, rather than blade. Certainly in a NEW, there's lots of variation in blade angles. With the proper angle for your beard, I would not expect tugging with that combination.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Personna makes pretty sharp blades. Maybe Feather is sharper (maybe not, IMO). But its not like you've got a Dorco in there. I'd look for another razor.

AGHisBBS, Eeyore and Robyflexx like this.
  12. cigarlover

Thanks again guys !!! I have a lot to learn but the process is fun. I've not cut myself or had any irritation so all is good until I find the right combo for me. I still end up with a good close shave that lasts and feels good using the Personna Blades. I'll finish them up and then move on to another brand to find what best suits me. I also need to try all my other Gillette's as well.

BigMike, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I would say that a person with an average beard should be able to get a shave without tugging from a Personna blade with a NEW razor. After one week of DE shaving, I think the biggest improvement will come from technique, and not from switching razors. And of course, the technique improvement is a large part of the fun!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BigMike, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would save them and revisit them at a later date, perhaps in a different razor. Toss a Feather in that New and give it a whirl. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

...remember, no/very little pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work.

15. cigarlover

I think I might just do that very thing in the morning

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

These are early days my friend! As long as you aren't bleeding things are going well. You need to find " your " method and I think you will soon. Trying blades is a great idea and you might see a big difference, then again maybe not. You can only jump in any go. Remember, early days....

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This.

Blades don't matter nearly as much as people think. When you find one that's ok. Stick to it for a month and let your technique solidify.

18. Bama Samurai

+1

19. Bama Samurai

Switching razors at this point could inadvertently sentence you to a rotation of mediocrity. I would encourage sticking to one kit until you can get two pass DFS automatically, with no irritation. The gear you already own is more than sufficient!

I believe angle to be the problem here. Try to always keep the cap of the razor in contact with your face as you shave. This will lower the blade angle, and help to prevent scrapes. Remember, you have to unlearn years of cartridge technique!

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I don't find Personna dull but maybe better for you in another razor. I'd try an Astra and then Crystal. Derby I don't use and Feather, so so for me. I don't need anything that sharp as I value smoothness over sharpness.

Robyflexx likes this.