Advice needed

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cigarlover, May 16, 2016.

1. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This exactly!

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    :signs011:

I have been using a blade only twice for a long time now. I can't imagine going back to using a blade four or five times. For the price of a blade, why not throw then out after 2 shaves?

barbersurgeon and Robyflexx like this.
  3. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

'Two, and through' has been my mantra of late

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Crystal is Personna.

5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'll use a blade until I notice a little tugging on the first pass, then change it out. The number of shaves vary based on the blades, razor, soap and probably the phase of the moon.

6. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys !!! check out my shave update thread. I changed out the blade and wow what a difference it made. I went with the Personna Platinum

7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yes they are. I thought he was talking about P-Reds.

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Something that boggled my mind when I started DE shaving was that some blades work very well in some razors on my face, but if I put the same brand of blade in a different razor, it didn't work as well. Its really a process of experimentation and developing your technique at this point. Riding the cap on a razor will make your shaves more comfortable. Also, check out the 30 day focus/rule threads. The guys on there are nuts, but very helpful. Sticking with the same equipment for a period of time will do wonders for your shaves.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

We aren't nuts and we are a friendly group.

[​IMG]

Drygulch, barbersurgeon and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

That baboon's got some nice fangs. Maybe this pic would be more appropriate.
    [​IMG]

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Not for this group

Erik Redd likes this.
  12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Blade life. If you have a micrometer. Measure the thickness of the blades you are using. The thickness of the blades make a big difference. The thicker, I mean thousandths, will last for more shaves. They are all cheap enough to toss after 1 ,or 2 , but some will surprise you and once you have good technique, you might get a few more shaves. Try the dry test. Put your blade in your razor, no soap and just pull it down a few hairs. If it pings, it's good for one shave. Just don't try to shave dry , just a few hairs. Then you have a benchmark.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

:signs011: What Steve said. There is no objective "best blade." So I don't think it really matters what order you use. When I was sampling different brands, the order was chosen with help from my friends, Eenie, Meenie, Minie and Moe.

Robyflexx likes this.