Advice please - correct way to shave ready Schick Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

I will receive an M series adjustable soon and it seems to have a good clean handle "but" the underside plastic seems to have quite a bit of soap as does the metal area under the head. I may be wrong but this may be a Protector model.

A metal razor would simply swim in near boiling water/detergent mix for 30 minutes but with metal and plastic I'm wanting to do this correctly.

If a schick user has cleaned an adjustable I would love to do it correctly. I'm also getting an E as well so advice there won't go astray. Oh and a Gem Push button.

But mainly the Schick adjustable please.

Steve

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't boil it. You'd probably melt some plastic at the very least. I'd just use Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. It should come out looking great.

3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I soak plastic component razors in hot water with a big scoop of OxyClean. They come out a few hours later sterilized and shiny clean....

BigMark likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. Scrubbing Bubbles does three things:
    1. It eats soap scum
    Second. It disinfects
    C. It leaves your razor nice and shiny

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: I start my Schick M rotation on Saturday. This is adjustable month for me. Fatboy, Schick M, and Slim.
    Scrubbing bubbles does a great job cleaning and sanitizing the razor. I have a battery operated toothbrush that I use exclusively for cleaning razors. It works great.
    Schick_adj15.JPG

6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I don't use Scrubbing Bubbles because I hate the smell. A soak in Dawn dish soap and warm water and some scrubbing with a toothbrush is usually all they need. After all, it's just dried lather so it doesn't take much to remove it.

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Simple green might be worth a shot as well.

Omaney likes this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I use a lot of Simple Green when cleaning funky old razors, and I despise the smell of Simple Green.

9. swarden43

Does Simple Green disinfect?

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I'm telling you guys, try the OxyClean hot water soak.

• Harmless to metal or plastic.
    • Sanitizes/disenfects as well as bleach
    • No Smell at all
    • No toothbrush or scrubbing
    http://parentingpatch.com/oxygen-bleach-disinfect-cloth-diapers/

Toss the item to be cleaned into a cup of piping hot water with a scoop of Oxy Clean. Pull out an hour or two later and give a quick rinse. Everything, even the stuff you can't get to with a brush will be bright and clean..

The stuff is also great for carpet and clothing stains. It works like bleach without the smell or downsides to colored items. I found out about it when we used to foster dogs. It was the only thing that kept my carpets from being utterly destroyed..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. BigMark

No.

12. swarden43

Then it would not be a razor cleaner I would recommend, but that's me.

"All in one" is why I recommend Scrubbing Bubbles.

13. BigMark

SB does not disinfect against BBPs. But then again that is why I do not buy injectors. hard to get clean/disinfect I imagine.

14. swarden43

In no way trying to argue at all. Lots of ways to skin a cat, as they say.

How long can BBPs stay alive on metal? Honestly I don't know.

15. BigMark

I know you are not. But if some someone is that keen on sanitizing a razor just buy some barbicide.

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

shavedcat (1).jpg

17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I now endorse Oxy Clean as well. I used it on a funky lot I purchased last week and it is excellent. One caveat however, it darkened a Bakelite handle on a Schick E. Luckily, said handle actually looks better now. It also softened/loosened and eventually removed the lacquer coating on a '46 Milord in that lot. This was for me a desired effect as the lacquer was darkened and patchy.

SDK likes this.
  18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Glad it worked for you Tony. Are you sure there was not some sort of light colored haze or residue on the Bakelite?

The OxyClean is just a powdered mix of oxygen bleach and hydrogen peroxide. I can't think of any chemically relevant way it could darken something...

I have an old Eversharp that I will test dunk over the weekend. I did use it on a Shick J1 with a white plastic handle, and it came out whiter and brighter....

19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

image.jpg Oh, it was funky with soap scum and other filth. But not as you are thinking.

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

image.jpg After...i think it looks better.

GDCarrington likes this.