advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bg42, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bg42

bg42 New Member

I need some advice.
    My first effort trying to shave with a Gillette DE razor was an absolute disaster to say the least, however I have psyched myself up to give it another try .I only have Merkur blades at present and it was popular opinion that this was the reason for the poor outcome.
    I would therefore like some advice as to which is the best blade to use and where do I purchase them from
    Thanks in advance:thanks
    Kind regards Peter

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd recommend you to get a blade samplerpack. connaughtshaving.co.uk is a good place to shop for 'em :)

3. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

+1 on the sampler pack.

Could also be technique. Pre-shave, during shave etc.
    If you could explain exactly what you do and also what results you are getting eg blood, not very smooth etc perhaps we can help you further.
    Please also look at other posts in the shave school forum as you will probably find answers to your problem there.
    Send me a PM to me if you like.
    Kristian

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

PM me and I'll send you some personna reds.

5. bg42

bg42 New Member

thanks for the advice it is much appreciated ,samples are on the way.
    I dont think it would be my prep as I only shave with a straight and have done for years
    Kind regards Peter

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I say you just get the sharpest blade (Feather), and load it into the most aggressive razor (Slant), and JUST LEARN, DAMMIT!!

Just kidding, of course! What they say about samplers is the way to go! :D

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The first horrible shave wasnt completely due to the merkur blades. Many people get fine shaves with them. It seems that there are a good amount of people who have problems switching from str8s to DEs. But dont worry, just like a str8, it'll just take some practice. Stick with the same blade for as long as possible so you can work on your technique.