After Shaves...Signature scent or huge variety?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ijustmissedthe50s, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I tend to be seasonal: florals and citrus in the warmer months( which is 6 months a year) and heavier and spicier in the cooler months. And heavy on the menthol almost every time.

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have ten AS/ASBs. I have a couple that I really enjoy and a few that won't be replaced once they are gone. My two favourites are Pre de Provence ASB and Proraso green ASB...and Proraso white ASB.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Clubman bad? Inconceivable! :(

Hodge likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Ijustmissedthe50s
    I would love to give you my favorites, but I fell down the rabbit hole a LONG time ago. :happy097:
    IMG_9837 2.jpg

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Like many Gents here I have far too many aftershaves that I could call signature.
    I'm inappropriate when it comes to the seasons and the scents, it's always Spring/Summer in California. :happy005:
    With that said... My go2 or favorite aftershave/cologne would be AdP.
    Good Stink!!

Hodge likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

It appears so, my brother!

Primotenore likes this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

It gives me a nasty headache....:(

8. RetLEO-07

Sorry to hear that.

9. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Thanks, gentleman...I got so wrapped up reading and learning about AS yesterday that I started slipping into my very own rabbity hole lol. I have my four favorites for the time being, but I got so hyped up I went today and got ingrediants for two homemade recipes. I don't expect perfection, but I've got to start somewhere. I'll update on my "No Man Is An Island" Bay Rum and "BayO'Wolf" Spice.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I will give you a short list to seek out.

Pinaud clubman, chatillon lux unconditional surrender, floid black, lucky tiger.

If I were you, I would go to maggardrazors.com and get some Aftershave samples.

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Just for the record, both of the homemade in making are very simple, basic recipes. They sound like fun though, and I figure if I start with some very simple I can keep learning.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Hey, thanks!

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Check out the Lustray products Pinaud makes. 15 oz bottles for $6 or $7 bucks. Jerris and Master make similar ones. They are short lived scents, lots of alcohol. I add menthol crystals or M-Bomb to them. Its a cheap way to try stuff out for some of the classic ones. I'm up to around 20 aftershaves now.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Cool. I've seen lustray products online but didn't know pinaud made them.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

A lot of the barber supply houses make them. They were designed to be a quick splash of smell good that didn't last to long, and didn't cost much for barbers to use on clients. The one Master one I have has a pretty long lasting scent though. P.S. If you try the Osage Rub, wash your hands thoroughly before touching any other parts of your body. Trust me on this.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Thanks for what I'm sure is a helpful tip!

17. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I'm up to almost 40 counting splashes, balms and Avon. I can't say which one of them would be a "signature" as it changes over time. For a while I was wearing Gillette Cool Wave several times a week. I haven't replaced it when it ran out, though I should, it's a great performer. I also loved Skin Bracer Cooling Blue, wore it very often, but now it's gone and discontinued.

Of my current stock of splashes, I would say Avon Windjammer and Master Champagne are used most frequently. I pair them with colognes so I can't really say either is a signature scent, however.

Keithmax and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rule regarding AS use in my home:
    1. I have to enjoy the scent. I tend to favor more spice/leather/tobacco scents versus floral, powdery or fruity. There are always exceptions.
    2. More importantly, my wife has to enjoy the scent on me. She is not a fan of the 'old timey' barbershop scents nor many of the drug store brands (i.e. Aqua Velva, English leather, Skin Bracer)— no biggie as I'm not a real fan of those fragrances either.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Bobcat like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Osage is great as tonic or AS

Keithmax and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.