Aftershave and moisturizing question

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by ColtJustice, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I currently have two aftershaves. Old Spice lotion, and Proraso white balm. I usually use the balm unless I'm getting ready to go out.
    My question is, is it a waste to put on the aftershave balm, then moisturize? Am I doing it in the right order, or am I completely off-base?

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

An alcohol based aftershave helps to sterilize any nicks. Good to use it every time. Some folks find it leaves their skin dry, so to follow up with a moisturizer has its benefits.
    There will be opinions, but it's all about what works for you.
    I live on the U.S South Coast where humidity is generally high. Most of the year I follow my shave with an Alum block rub & rinse, dry with a towel, and an alcohol based AS. Only during December & January does my skin feel the need for a moisturizer.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. ColtJustice

I usually use an alum bar to disinfect my face. Is that as good as an alcohol-based aftershave? And does alum dry out the skin? I live in the DC area, which is about as humid as anywhere in the US. lol But I'm in the sun a fair amount, and that dries my skin.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've seen Chris @Bama Samurai give the details about alum. He may drop by if he's not out viewing The Eclipse.
    Personally I like the drying, skin tightening effect I get from alum. I'm 56, and have spent many years outdoors as a carpenter. I wouldn't consider my skin tender. When I have completed my shave, rinsed of any lather, and while my face is still wet I apply the bar to all shaved skin. If I have made any errors in technique the alum gives immediate notice. The alum is a teaching tool. Since I like to try new-to-me razors & haven't chosen the one DE blade to purchase in a 100 blade box my results vary. I suppose you might use alum & skip the AS, but I'm enjoying the choice of scents and I like the face feel of the different products I've tried.

RaZorBurn123 and ColtJustice like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's dependent on how much Alum and whether you rinse. I believe it's the finest coagulant, disinfectant and toner out there. Also, Alum gives objective feedback about angle and pressure. If the Alum burns, it indicates technique is poor and needs improvement. I am a daily user and it has improved my skin greatly, and use AS and Alum both. The big thing is don't overthink this. Let results alone be your guide.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. Bama Samurai

AS Balm is a modern invention, and probably not needed at all. What issue are you actually having? The answer for most irritation is to master technique. If you're simply dried out, you can always try lotion like Cetaphil. I am anti-balm, it's a band aid that doesn't address the real issues, normally.

ColtJustice likes this.
  7. ColtJustice

So then, if I may assume, are you saying that AS, or at least a balm, is not necessary, and to just use an Alum bar then moisturize? I've never used an Alum bar until recently, but it makes sense considering its antiseptic properties. I'm just a little confused as to what it replaces if anything.
    If I use an alcohol-based aftershave, then the Alum is not really necessary, or if I use the Alum, the aftershave is not necessary, and I can jump straight to a moisturizer?

RyX likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've stopped using alum all together. Doesn't agree with me. For some reason it would always leave my face looking sun burned.

I like to use WH or an aftershave balm, followed by a spritz of cologne.

BigMark83 and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Shavers Choice. Try an option for a week. If you like it continue or change one thing and see if it improves your results.
    The reason for a balm may come down to irritation from improper or less than optimal technique. If you don't irritate your skin a repairing moisturizer may not be needed. Using an astringent is a preventative measure assuming there is some slight skin damage while dragging a sharp blade across the skin. If Alum keeps you from getting any infections that's sufficient. Should you like the scent of an AS it's a second antiseptic treatment. If you have dry skin a balm or moisturizer will apply a layer of oil that was washed away while using soap.
    While there are "skin types" it still comes back to weather you are doing damage and what helps your skin feel better. Using the Scientific Method to experiment on your skin by keeping all factors the same, but making one change lets you evaluate the changed factor. The best change is to develop a correct use of your razor to avoid damage.
    If you are suffering issues there's a crew of shavers that discuss this on a daily basis. The method of experimenting with techniques & products has been worked out in fine detail. Click the link in my signature below. The 30 Day Crew enjoys sharing their experience to help with shaving issues.

ColtJustice likes this.
  10. ColtJustice

Thanks. Sounds like sound advice. Maybe it's just me, but I don't notice a scent in the Alum. Usually, I feel a little sting. Last night, I hardly felt any.

BigMark83 and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Umm, yeah! No scent in the alum. When it slides around on your skin like a block of glass with no fireworks that's the sign of an error free shave. Congrats on doing it well.

12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Made me break out. I wanted to like it , but it didn't like me.

ColtJustice likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

My routine, literally. If my skin is dry or wind burned, I use a small amount of Cetaphil. You just need to try and see what routine agrees with you. However, I encourage you to consider that less might be more.

Wash face in cold water.
    No scrubbing, it can cause dryness.

Lather

Shave

Alum

Allow Alum to air dry.

Apply old School alcohol AS Splash

ColtJustice likes this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I know some swear by the use of an alum block post shave. I continue to be puzzled by the use of alum. I should begin by saying I don't use it and I can't understand how it is of any benefit, except as a styptic. The notion of it disinfecting our skin post shave just doesn't make sense to me. We do not need to disinfect our skin. Indeed I believe the current thinking on the use of skin sanitizer is that it kills off normal bacteria that have a protective function. Killing off skin bacteria make our skin more prone to infection, not less. As for it giving feedback, yes, it probably does that, but no more so than witch hazel or a splash or balm.

As for alum's "toning" qualities it certainly does dry your skin by making it feel tighter, but that property is transient. Once you rinse or apply balm, that tightening is gone. I do, however, believe alum blocks are good for stopping bleeding of a nick or weeper. In this case it should be used as a spot treatment and not applied all over. As for alum soothing razor burn I don't understand this either. In my opinion alum would likely irritate a razor burn more, not sooth it. I believe razor burn is better soothed by Witch hazel and balm. Even better, if you are getting razor burn work on your technique-- ease up on your pressure, change your blade or do fewer passes.

When you shave the soap and the scraping away of stubble remove natural oils. Personally, I think if you want to rehydrate your skin then use witch hazel as a skin toner post shave followed by a quality balm.

And there you have it...my 2 cents worth!

ColtJustice likes this.
  15. Rusty blade

Sorry, I flew off on an alum tangent there. To answer your question, "balm then moisturizer" are doing the same thing. But truth is, I believe it certainly won't hurt to use both. In winter months when my skin is dryer, I often shave, then apply witch hazel, then use a DIY blend of Shea butter and coconut oil. Then I have breakfast and then before I leave for work I apply an ASB.

Bodysuit, ColtJustice and RyX like this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Different strokes for different folks. I used Alum once and it didn't help me at all. My skin burned and it broke me out. And I'm on the fence about balm. Balm may be better suited for winter as skin in drier. However ones skin type is also a factor. If one has oily skin anything that has a high glycerin content isn't good, and neither are balms. My skin is a pain, so take it for what it's worth. Many people say technique, I say it's a combination of technique and tools/products.

ColtJustice likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I rinse, rub alum, I like the way it tightens my face, rinse alum, add Thayer's witch hazel, I like the stuff.
    Wait.... aftershave.... wait....I apply a balm and hit the world like I own it.
    :git:

BigMark83 and ColtJustice like this.
  18. Rusty blade

I think you have the right attitude. Do whatever...just because it feels good.:happy036: Sometimes I overthink things. Or this is what everyone around me tells me. I have watched some shave videos and these guys are slapping everything on but the kitchen sink. It certainly looks like a lot of fun. And it uses up more product...which is good because then you can order more. But like I said...sometimes I overthink things. Maybe I should give the more is better philosophy a try...

RyX likes this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

When I started out on this crazy journey I used witch hazel followed by Nivea sensitive balm. I didn't use any splash. Then I started using a little splash for scent but I mixed it in with the witch hazel. Still used Nivea balm. Then I started separating and putting on witch hazel, some splash, and then balm. Finally, one evening I was sitting around and noticed my face felt really greasy. So the next day I tried witch hazel followed by an after shave splash and no balm. Since then I've gone with that procedure and have realized I don't need the balm other than sometimes in the colder months.

I tried alum one time and didn't care for it.

Remember - use what you like! If multiple layers of witch hazel and splash and balm and whatever else works for you - then use it! No judgement from me.

20. Rusty blade

:eatdrink047: I'll drink to that!

PLAla likes this.