Aggressive 3 piece razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by StephenDE, Oct 17, 2010.

1. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Ok, my birthday is coming up soon. I was thinking of getting a new razor. I've got a Feather Portable and a British Tech. The Tech is too mild for me and I haven't had a chance to use the FP much. So...

What's the most aggressive 3 piece I can get my hands on?

I love an aggressive shaver, so I thought it would be fun to ask the community to recommend one as you guys have more experience than I do.

Thanks!

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

For a modern build - The Muele Pinsel R89 with a Fatip head is pretty agressive. However, they have a newer head design and you have to do a little research to locate one of the Fatip models. There are a few vendors that sell them.

If you want vintage - go for a Gillette Old Style.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

While not a true 3-piece, a Merkur Progress is versatile and will go wild to mild depending on your wishes for the day.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I was thinking about mentioning that one as well. And it is basically three pieces. The knob can be pulled out. Cap, bottom guard and handle, knob = 3 piece razor. It isn't much different than the old Gillette three piece razors with the spindle handles.

5. stingraysrock

I never tried to pull the knob off, is it that easy? Is that all I have to do in order to replace it with a better knob? Cool!

6. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

Try a Merkur Progress or a Vintage open comb Gillete, a tuckaway perhaps.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Some are tighter than others. But yeah.. the knobs on a Progress or a Merkur HD pull out and are interchangeable. There are a few places that sell replacement knobs that you can just pop in.

8. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

I use a Gillette Pocket...it works so good I use it 90% of the time.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Treat yourself to a vintage Barbasol 3 piece razor, or a nice 100 year Lather Catcher S/E!

10. geogaga

geogaga Member

Old Muehle R89 or Parker 91R, but you must be careful when picking the latter - their heads are mostly twisted thus blade gap is uneven.

11. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

aggressive

The Gillette red-tips are aggressive, but they are one-piece razors. The single-edge razors can be quite aggressive depending on the angle held. For 3-piece razors, probably the open-combs such as an old-type, a NEW, a Tuck-Away, etc. I prefer the SE razors for a more aggressive shave, but probably mainly because I think they're cool looking :cool:

12. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I had and sold the earlier R89.. Not because it was too aggressive, I just didn't like it. I found the shave to not nearly as aggressive as reviews would have one believe. It needed attention and care, but it was far from the horror I had read about.

I was going to suggest one of the adjustable's as well, cranked up to max.. Multi function.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Instead of another razor, why not look for a bigger handle for that Feather Portable. They are great little shavers. The handles work well for travel, but are a bit small for every day use. I was using mine on an iKon bulldog handle until I picked up my Old Type for Open Comb October.

14. stingraysrock

True. I like my FP even more now that it has the Fatty Tech handle that you gave me.

I also read somewhere around here about someone shimming the Tech so it had more exposure, but I don't remember a reply as to what the shims were...maybe washers for all I know.

15. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I find my Gillette NEW to be quite agressive and a fantastic shaver.

16. newb

newb Resident Newb

+++++++1 on the barbasol. Well worth it for an aggressive shave, if you can find one.

17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1. You also might like to check out the Fatip head MP R89 that Justin mentioned in an earlier post. I have one and its just the right amount of aggressive for me. As another wise person said, that razor isn't the monster that some people make it out to be.

18. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

+1 to a lather catcher SE or a Gillette Old Style. Also, a fatboy or slim adjustable slammed to 9 will do the job quite well.

19. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Thanks guys!

The new handle for the Feather Portable intrigues me. Can someone enlighten me on how to get said handle? Do I just buy the razor and use the FP head rather than the Ikon head?

Don't really want an adjustable. They're a little out of my budget and I just don't want to fool with adjusting one.

I was thinking of another Parker. They have a very heavy 3 piece that I saw mentioned in someone's post recently. Thanks Alexi, I'll watch out for the blade exposure on any of the Parkers I might pick up.

I'd thought of Muhle and EJ because I know they make open comb three piece razors so I may try them as well.

If I could find a Barbasol I might indeed spring for it! And...my Micromatic Open Comb is quite possibly the most aggressive "safety razor" I own!

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Unless you get lucky, a Progress will probably cost less and will be easier to get than a Barbasol 3 piece. Parkers used to have a problem with consistency. However, they have supposedly gotten better. i have a Parker 98R lost in the smartpost system someplace. I will let you know how agressive I find it when it finally gets here. It has been within 30 miles of my home twice already. However, SmartPost is anything but....