Aggressive 3 piece razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by StephenDE, Oct 17, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Try Bob's Razor Works.. The Bull Mastiff and Bull Mastiff Deluxe are works of art and are interchangeable with most heads... I mount them on Merkur, Gillette, Hoffritz and iKon heads. The Muhle are the only ones I know of to be incompatible though Bob tapped my handle to work on these metric heads in addition to the more common SAE threads.

Bob makes so many different handles and does one off custom work too.. The rolling slide show that pops up on his website are just a few of his designs.

I have no connection to his company.. just a liking for his work. I have, use and love his Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle, the Bull Mastiff TTO and a Bull Mastiff Ultra Lite handle.

2. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I can only speak for the vintage Gillette's.

I find the most aggressive head is the New Improved with the extra weight of the Big Fellow at the top of the list.

After the New Improved is the Old Type with the heavier razors at the top again.

The Old type pocket and ABC's coming next.

The New Deluxe and the New long tooth next.

The least aggressive of the open combs would be the standard short tooth New in either of the common or ball end handles.

I don't know of any of the Gillette 3 piece straight bar razors that are aggressive.

Len

3. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I agree on the Old Type and the ABC's...

I have one Old Type Gillette and one ABC with the Old Type head, as well as an iKon Prototype that appears to be based on the Old Type.. My face tells me all of these are up there with a Futur on about 6...

Great for a few days of growth but more than my skin can handle as a daily shaver.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow. I may be an oddball but I love my old type. I used it on a heavy bulldog handle, but recently switched to a slightly lighter improved handle from BRW, It hits the sweet spot for me and is a great shaver.

I've only used the long tooth NEW a few times. It is probably my lack of good technique with the razor, but I found it more aggressive then the old type. It just didnt work well for me. I have an iKon deluxe that I think is a bit more mild then the Old type, but still gives a comfortable shave.

I have an experienced (has some character) Old Type head that I don't mind sending your way. Give it a shot and see if you like it. Just remember that the Old Type was designed for a thicker blade so you have to make sure the blade exposure is even. PM me your address and I'll send it your way.

Len - That flair tip Aristocrat of yours might be just about the nicest looking razor I have ever seen. Congrats on owning that beauty.

5. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Thanks Dale,

I was lucky to find the flair tip. It's one of my favorites and yes a real beauty. I love all of my Old Types for both collecting and shaving. They are simply the best especially on a 2 or 3 day beard. I mostly use a Bulldog and a pocket Old Type. Other razors in my rotation are a short tooth New, a '47 Super Speed, a Rocket HD and a Toggle. But my go to's are always the Old Type.

Len

6. I'm starting to find myself more and more in the "aggressive is better" crowd. Seems to work better with my face. The Feather Portable was actually my first DE and although I enjoyed using it, I much prefer my Fat Boy turned all the way up. :D

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Had my first shave with the Parker 98R. I know it was suggested as an aggressive razor. However, with the blade I used this morning and my skin/beard/etc... it wasn't. Lovely heavy weight and nice handle. But, I would not call it aggressive.

8. geogaga

geogaga Member

Do you have a chance to compare it to 91R?

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

No, but according to the company selling them, the 91R head is identical to the 98R. The only difference is the handle. Still, just because I found the 98R to be non-aggressive on one shave, doesn't mean that somebody else won't find it a killer. Parkers have a reputation as being inconsistent. These new razors are supposed to be better and this is a good quality razor. But still, there is still a nagging doubt that the consistency issue is still out there.

10. aberneth

aberneth Member

Modern: Merkur 39c, EJ/Muhle 41L, EJ Chatsworth OC
    Vintage: Gillette Single Ring, Barbasol, Gillette NEW (short comb variant)

Note on the single ring... it'll be a 4 piece if the barrel has microfractures :D

11. sffone

sffone Member

If aggressive is what you're looking for, you should just jump to an early Gem Micromatic open comb SE. Through the years I've shaved with a lot of different razors, and I don't think I've ever encountered anything more aggressive than the OC Micromatic other than a straight razor.

12. aberneth

aberneth Member

+1 on this. This is my routine shaver. I used it this morning and got a 2 pass BBS. My facial hair is like steel wool.

13. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I have one as well. Very aggressive.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

+3....It was way too aggressive fro me so I sold it off and got a much more tame razor...a Progress. Dialed to +5 the Progress is still not as aggressive as a MMOC...IMHO.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

In general I find that the SE razors give great shaves. The MMOC is a great aggressive razor. However, it wasn't what was asked for the OP, so I had not mentioned them. I mean really, if you want an aggressive shave, how about a true wedge razor that has been properly maintained?