Aggressive shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I don't like the more aggressive shavers. I have a future and a micro touch..is there a LESS aggressive safety razor? I can use the futur on setting one, but If I try to turn it up, I slash and dash. I am new to this, I've had about ten great shaves, and about four really bad ones...

2. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Gillette tech is a very mild razor. Most TTOs are mild.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, Rich. Glad you decided to join us. It takes some time to dial in your technique. That is key. Once you get your technique down you can shave with just about anything. No pressure and a shallow angle are a good place to start. I recommend a cold water shave also. That will help cut down on irritation. I am sure you will get lots of good advice. Stay tuned.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

4. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Thank you for the welcome. I really love to kinda pamper myself by taking my time shaving. Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I tell her she has her long baths and girly stuff. So, if I turn-up the dial on my futur How much pressure should I use on the handle?

5. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

TTO ?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Twist to open. Like a Gillette super speed or fat boy.

7. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Ahh, I see..thank you...I found one on ebay for about eight bucks. Does that sound right?

Carbide Mike and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

A Later Schick Injector is a Mild But Super Efficient Shaver..Cant Compare them to a DE..But.Man they are Smooth..As Smooth as a Women's Hand..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

9. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

That injector looks scary!

10. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Yeah also it's a must have for a razor collector.

11. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I don't want to collect everything, I started with the pawn stars guy's micro touch (bought on ebay for 4 bucks). Then I bought an expensive one (the futur). Got some soap and a brush and I was off and running...now I'm looking for a less aggressive safety razor..

12. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Hmm well I'd say try out the Edwin Jagger or Merkur 34c. Those are the most popular mid range razors that you can get for under 30 in some places.

Matt0210, Douglas Carey and BigMike like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah..Not as Scary as the Woman's Hand that Most Marry..Till Death Do Us Part..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Just about anything will be less aggressive than the Futur. My standard advice for those who find the Futur to be too aggressive is to try it with a Derby blade. I don't think I've ever cut myself using a Derby in my Futur.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Rich!

The Micro Touch is a vintage Gillette clone. It's perfect for learning. The issue is technique. You need to learn the proper angles and it will be very comfortable. The key is to ride the cap of the razor. If you're scraping or cutting, your blade attack angle is too high. This is caused by putting pressure on the safety bar and not the cap. It doesn't matter what safety razor you choose, they all produce the same result with proper techniques. You have everything you need, just master the Micro Touch. Then you'll be able to shave with anything easily, and you'll be able to distinguish all these characteristics people keep talking about.

16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Feather Popular and Derby blade...

I am currently shaving with perhaps the mildest (and most budget friendly) set-up around. A GREAT razor - the $10 Feather Popular (search Amazon or eBay), loaded with a Derby blade (also one of the less expensive blades). I get a smooth, irritation-free shave.

Even at the budget prices, I could be happy with this setup for life. The Shick Krona is also a mild shaver, but you will pay a bit more if you find one in decent shape. I like the Popular so much that I have a spare in an unopened package should the need ever arise. I don't think I will ever wear out my current razor, though. Especially since I rotate about 5 razors throughout the years.

Matt0210 likes this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Super Speed a nice mild vintage razor. Easy to find and cheap.
    [​IMG]

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super Speeds are a great start, you can still pick up a nice Gillette for under $20, also colonial razors has the General if you'd like to try an SE razor.

Carbide Mike and DentonMajik like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Great advice so far.
    Take your time, the mto is perfevr to learn with. Once you learn how, anythings possible.
    Remove distractions, listen to the blade. Feel your way. Youll grt there.

Matt0210 likes this.
  20. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Merkur 33C is a very mild razor. That's my go to !!!

Carbide Mike likes this.