Aggressive Shavers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by damnitgoose, Apr 14, 2016.

1. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

I have a particularly difficult dilemma...

My beard is pretty thin, I'm just not a hairy person. However, my bear hairs are very course and some (mostly on my neck) grow very deep below my skin and can ber quite susceptible to the dreaded ingrown hair problem.

I need an aggressive razor, but to further the issue, because my beard is so thin, the aggressive razors very often leave my beard irritated and lead to angry bumps on the skin for a few days or even ingrowns.

Last night, my ATT R1 landed in my Den... boy what an improvement over my Standard Razor with a Voskhod blade (perfectly fine, but not as effective). This think is nice and solid, heavy on my Mongoose Dr. Bomber handle, and just flys through my thin but wiry course beard. Just feels great.

What agressive shavers do you guys like? Whats your go to?

Heres my new daily driver

[​IMG]

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Well I haven't had luck with any of my aggressive razors. Lol to me they are too aggressive and I'm still trying to dial them in. I love the feel of the red tip in my hand, but I've only been able to get a couple of good shaves from it. For me, the hoffritz slant is aggressive. And that too I'm having difficulty mastering. But I enjoy both for what they are as they are beautifully made and designed. Lastly the fatboy and slim, I can't go past 6 on either and love them for their style and weight.

3. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I love my Red Tip. It is currently my favorite DE razor

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Spyder and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Shave with cold water, you'll never have irritation or bumps again and you'll be able to use the most aggressive razors with ease.
    download.jpg

opsimath, AGHisBBS, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  5. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

You could also give a Gillette Adjustable. Slims are great razors

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

The red tip was my first vintage and I REALLY want to love it.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

I tried it twice , I really need to continue to give it a shot. If you swear by it, it must be true! ( yes I'm that gullible) :)

8. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip robby. As the weather warms and I break out my menthol soaps, Ill be sure to turn down the water temperature as well!

I think aside from my aspirations of owning a Wolfman and a Blackbird, I want to get myself a lovely Red tip in very good to near mint condition

9. Robyflexx

That's a fine idea! Red Tips are wonderful shavers and they are very well made...they feel substantial. :)

10. Robyflexx

Don't take my word for it alone, people are dropping like fly's around here and joining the FCWS. :)

11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Aggressive - Mild - Purely subjective. No disrespect intended. There has been a whole bunch of posts on various forums concerning this covering many razors. It all boils down to the individual and the razor/blade/soap used. No aggressive razors; no mild razors; simply what meets your needs.;)

AGHisBBS, crackstar and Spyder like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

WP_20160305_001.jpg The most aggressive of all my razors is my Schick eversharp . Not a razor for the faint of heart, if you don't pay attention, he'll bite! I have fairly thick , fast growing beard. As far as that goes any of my single edge razors will give ME a closer, smoother shave than my red tip or my slim on 9.

AGHisBBS, preidy, Robyflexx and 5 others like this.
  13. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I get nice shaves from my Fatp Grande.

Red Tip is ok so far, and so is the Slim turned up.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't think of it as especially aggressive, but my Blackbird gives me the closest, most comfortable shaves of my life.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460689915.919387.jpg

My Fatip would be in second place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460689976.919233.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, crackstar, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I was using a Slim on 9 but recently acquired a Muhle R41 head on an Maggard MR5 handle and it's a game changer. I'm only 2 shaves in with it but it's exactly what I was looking for. Very aggressive. I'm also a cold water convert, really helps with my irritation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Aggressiveness in a razor boils down to gap, angle and, to a lesser extent, exposure. I haven't come across a razor with more gap than the Futur. Blade angle is adjustable, though fairly aggressive even on the lower settings (I prefer the low range myself). Adjustment angle also varies the gap a bit, as I believe it does on all adjustables. Exposure is just average on the Futur.
    Keep in mind. I'm talking only about the razor itself. The shave you get depends heavily on the blade, and also on your prep and technique.

17. BigMike

What are you using for blades? Maybe try a Derby or a red Personna. Those blades always treat me kindly.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Jorvaljr

I've tried:
    Astra sp, Gillette the spoiler, personna red & blue ( these gave good shaves )

AGHisBBS and BigMike like this.
  19. BigMike

The Astra SP is very nice, but not as forgiving as the others. I haven't tried the Gillette's yet, so I can't comment there.

AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Stick a smooth (rather than sharp) blade in there, like Voskhod's, or something similar.

I can shave with a red tip, though I never go past '3' on an adjustable. Over the years I've learned to use some of the more aggressive razors.

Blade choice makes a huge difference.