All these words!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BigCabDaddy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

So sticking to blades for just a moment, I see them characterized as smooth, mild, sharp, aggressive and who knows what else. So does:

sharp = aggressive
    smooth = mild

Like learning a new language. lol

crackstar and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This comes up all the time and nobody's at a consensus.

To me, a sharp blade is smooth. An "aggressive" blade is one that isn't as fine edged and thus, not as sharp, which tends to pull or abrade.

After your technique is sound, just about every blade will be at least adequate and most will be smooth. I can't remember the last "bad" blade I've used and I have tried all of the scorned brands.

tuxxdk and BigCabDaddy like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think it all would be easier to understand if we agreed NOT to call blades aggressive and or mild. if we reserve those adjectives for razors. and agree to describe blades in terms of sharpness and smoothness.
    it gets real confusing real fast when we cross the streams, it would be bad.

impetus, BigCabDaddy and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd have to agree. Razors are mild to aggressive. Blades are sharp and smooth (usually a mix of the two, depending on the edge and coating).

Sharp = How easily a blade cuts hair. The keenest blades slice without a whisper of resistance.

Smooth = How easily the blade moves across the skin. Also the degree of skin irritation caused by the blade.

Edit: the above is entirely subjective. A blade that I find has a nice compromise between sharpness and smoothness (like Astra Superior Platinum) might feel like a face gnawing squirrel to the next person.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. BigCabDaddy

OK but... I've seen the Feather almost universally referred to as "sharp." But NOT smooth?

6. BigCabDaddy

So I hear you saying sharp and be rough and dull could be smooth I suppose too?

Dull + Smooth = No Blade -- like when we were kids. :)

7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Forget all the hype and chatter, try a few brands, pick the one that works and feels best and stick with it. Most of what is posted is highly subject to personal taste and doesn't apply to the majority of users.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I apply the terms to how the blade feels on the face.
    With DE blades, it seems highly subjective.

BIG BLADES: In SR shaving, I consider the edges of all 'shave ready' blades to be 'sharp'—but not all are 'smooth' feeling.
    One can hone an edge so it is beyond surgically sharp—popping hairs @ HHT4 or 5+—but the feel may be harsh or unpleasant on the face.

To me, 'aggressive' can mean 'efficient' —an aggressive razor is one that mows hair down with extreme closeness with ease—at the possible sacrifice of comfort.
    Ideally, a razor will be extremely efficient/aggressive (sharp!) and yet still shave comfortably. The custom Mastro Livi loaned to me by Mike @entropy1049 certainly matches this description.
    It is an extremely sharp, aggressive razor that, with care, shaves both comfortably and smoothly. :happy088:

Keithmax and entropy1049 like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Sharp blades are smooth and don't tug or pull when the razor is shaving the hair.

You have to experiment with blades to find out what works well for you, but you will know when you get a blade your face does not like. It will tug and or cause irritation and razor burn.

There are mid grade blades out there as well, where they are not the sharpest, but get the job done. Razors are sometimes described as mild or aggressive due to the way they shave. Mild razors usually are recommended for beginners because they are more forgiving. A aggressive razor is one you have to be more careful with so as not to get cut, but some people say they get a closer shave from. As long as you are comfortable with the razor and technique, it shouldn't matter much if it is mild or aggressive but YMMV of course.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

And I find it to be incredibly smooth. Go figure. I disregard any blade talk anymore and use my face as the final word. That's the only way to really know.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Words of wisdom.

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Blade talk beats pillow talk handsdown.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Maybe for you. :D

...I'll take the pillow talk.

15. preidy