All Things NOT So Equal??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve C, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I changed all the blades in my razors yesterday, as is my custom once a week.

I’m working through a sample pack of DE razor blades with a variety of different razor blades in it. I’m not really paying much attention what the name is on the package but just changing out the blades.

This morning’s shave was disappointing. It’s a “Gillette Silver blue stainless” blade. The razor and the cream used in the process, were all the same, so I think it could be the blade itself.

Could the company have not sharpened the blade the way they should have? Could it have been a dud? Yeah sure, I suppose so.

In any case it left me feeling like I didn’t get the kind of close shave that I’ve gotten from other blades that were new.

Anyone else have any issues with that particular blade?

RyX likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If it's a brand you've used before with no issues, then you got a bum one.
    That simple.
    If you've never used that brand before, then you'll have to try another blade to see if it's a bum blade or a brand not suited for you.
    Blades are all personal preference. If one guy here tells you he loves 'em, another guy says he hates 'em, who ya gonna believe?
    Gotta ask your face.

178-bplatoon, Bird Lives, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Blades tend to be a personal preference and there are lots of variables. These include the razor, the shaver's face and beard, and even expectations.

I know that, until recently, I would have told you that one of the worst blades is the Dorco STD-301 from the Dollar General/Family Dollar (generic, made in Vietnam). Several people told me they had had good luck with that blade. It turns out that it is a good blade, provided the razor can clamp it tightly enough as it is very thin. I was amazed by the difference using that blade in a SuperSpeed vs. a Tech, for instance.

I also think that a lot of talk about aggressiveness of razors and performance of blades may be psychological. That is to say, I think there are people who don't think a razor/blade is working unless they can feel the blade even if it is working just fine.

In the end, there are no pat answers, just go with what you like.

RyX, mrchick and Jim99 like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Some blades are duds.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

5. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Well for me the real test, knowing that everything else is the same except the blade, is whether or not it gave me a good shave.

In this particular case this blade itself could be a dud yes, but it didn’t give me the kind of shave that I expected from a new blade.

So I suppose the real question I should be asking is, whether or not there is a large number of individuals who either support or decry the Gillette brand, in general.

mrchick likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I never had a dud GSB, but I have had duds from other brands. If you have another GSB give it a try.

PickledNorthern, RyX and mrchick like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’ve always found GSB to be a good blade. I’d try another one.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What they said.

mrchick likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am new to GSBs, and I bought 100 since they seemed good to me. I have had no issues to date.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

GSB shows up in every top five ever, basically. It enjoys a sterling reputation. Try a couple more and be sure it isn't for you.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Straight razor dandy likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yep...I'll take my face's word for it.....and your face has never steered me wrong either...:happy088:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    swarden43 and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to go with everyone else on this...GSBs are a top blade, pretty much universally. Also, they are considered to be amongest the sharpest blades available. I think you got a dud. I would recommend trying a couple more.

Sheer curiosity... What are your favorites so far?