Allergic to Tabac...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by curiousity, Apr 6, 2009.

1. curiousity

curiousity New Member

I've discovered that I have quite sensitive skin. I've been using Trumper Coconut soap and enjoying it thoroughly.

But I wanted a bit of a change, so I broke the Tabac. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Tabac! Yes, I am one of those who loves the smell too. Yesterday my shave seemed a little rough so today I switched the blade figuring that the blade was going dull. Nope. When I shaved again today, I noticed my skin still felt irritated. I looked closer and the mirror and realized that my cheeks look like someone had sat me down in a chair and repeatedly slapped my face for 10 minutes. Grrr... It's disappointing because I really like Tabac. Oh well.

Guess I can add that to the pile of soaps that my brother will be getting for his birthday.

I have a few more soaps which I have, but haven't tried yet: MWF, Institut Karite, Dr Harris Marlborough and Dr Harris Arlington. I really hope that I'm not allergic to the Arlington because I like the smell very much.

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

That really is too bad. A couple other tallow based soaps you might try are Irisch Moos and L'Occitane Cade. Hopefully you'll find one that works for you. Tallow is tops! :happy088

3. thepugilist

thepugilist New Member

I recently picked up some Tabac as well and after receiving t in the mail and giving it a sniff, I was really looking forward to using it a lot. Unfortunately, I had the same problems as you did. I just traded it the other day because it irritated my face. I had thought that my problems came from not being able to lather soap very well yet,but I got a perfect lather from it one day and it still irritated my face pretty bad. Shame, I thought about just keeping it around to smell every once and a while, but I knew that I would be tempted to use it again, so away it went.

4. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I weep for you, my friend. ;)

I'm dealing with a similar issue with a different soap.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This is unfortunate, because Tabac soap is a soap from the Garden of Eden.

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

it does my skin good. i have sensitive skin and even musgo and some TOBS irritate me. Tabac is very nice to me. Good luck!

7. Minstrel

Minstrel New Member

That's bad news as Tabac is the shave soap of the gods. Try it again another day. Maybe you've got a bit of wind burn .

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

Also think about if you're doing anything else differently. I've come the realize that face lathering can make my face red. I must not be developing the lather enough. It take several day for my skin to recover, during which time it even more sensitive and vulnerable. Sometimes it can take a while to get my face back. :)

Super lathering and adding aloe gel + oil (vit E + jojoba) and building a big lather in a mug works best for me.

I hope I don't get sensitive to Tabac. I love it so!

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Well said Jeff. It really is that good.

10. curiousity

curiousity New Member

Although my face does get a little red from face lathering, there is no doubt there was an allergic reaction. My face was much redder than normal and remained red and hot for the rest of the day.

lol... I feel like I should have a wake for tabac. :D