Alum blocks,aftershaves and styptic pencils

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alex7, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

If I use an alum block do I still need to use an aftershave? I know that a styptic pencil is for closing a cut, but can an alum block do that also? How many of these products do I need? What do i use first? The alum block or the aftershave?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Try different ways and see what works for you.

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

RaZorBurn123 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Exactly. You don't need any of those, you use them if you like them. I'll use a styptic pencil to close cuts if they're that bad, and I'll splash on some if I want to smell afterwards, I'll use a balm if I want my skin to feel nice. I don't use a alum block although I do own one.

Do what you like to do and what feels good for you.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know if there is one correct way. I use my alum block right after my final cold water rinse. I clean my gear and then do a quick cold water rinse, pat dry, and apply witch hazel. I brush my teeth, and then do after shave. That's just me. It might be overkill, but it works for me.

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

An alum block is an astringent. It will close weepers maybe tiny nicks. Styptic will close larger nicks to cuts. One or the other or both is good to have on hand. Use them? If you want. Sure makes closing a cut easier and personally I always use an aftershave after alum/thayers

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

After I shave, I rinse my face with cold water.
    Here's what I do next.
    Rub alum block on wet face
    Clean up brush, razor, sink.
    Rinse alum off with cold water
    Pat face dry with clean towel
    Apply witch hazel
    Apply Aftetshave
    Apply balm/milk

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

When I'm done shaving I do cold water splash, I only use alum block or anything like that if I'm bleeding, always use aftershave.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Man that's very close to my routine. Must not be overkill.

Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

I don't think its overkill. I like the alum for it's healing and for its face tightening :) yeah you and I use pretty much the same products. With one exception, you use (the cool factor) the travel custom spray bottles. Jealous :)

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    With the spray bottles, I only get WH and after shave on my left hand. Spray on face with right hand and smear it around with the left. They are kind of cool.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

Not only are they cool, you've customized them, and they are space savers. Plus I'm sure you're not wasting product. :happy088:

12. dherke

dherke New Member

If you have problems with weepers or cuts when shaving, try rubbing alum on your face before shaving. I do this everyday and have greatly improved my shaving experience. I've been doing this for about 6 months and have had no cuts since going with this method.

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    interesting.jpg

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. dherke

dherke New Member

Here's my full routine:
    1. Shower
    2. Rub Alum on face
    3. Apply Shaving Soap with cheap boar brush. I find soaps do better than creams for me.
    4. Shave, I use Weber with bulldog handle and Astra blades
    5. Rinse with cold water

Thats it. It's a little more difficult to get the get a good lather due to the Alum on my face, but the shave experience is much more comfortable for me. I can get a very good shave with no nicks. I used to get at least 2 weepers per shave when I did not apply alum before the shave. My beard is a little coarse and skin is sensitive. This method may not work for you, so as always, ymmv.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Jayaruh likes this.