American Hard Shaving Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Sabre, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am aware of Williams Mug Soap and Van der Hagen (I was going to try Williams this weekend, but got side tracked). Are Burma Shave and Colgate Soaps still made? Colgate had a really bad review. I have seen Kingsley, Master and Marvy Soaps - are these any good? is the Marvy just a rebrand?

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Colgate is not in production anymore. Calvin, a.k.a. tha Bunny, passed me a puck months back. They can still be found on the shelves of little drugstores every now and then. It's a fine soap. Equal to Williams (which is a good thing in my book.)

Burma Shave soap is pure irony, since that brand started off as a tub of cream and was never a soap until it was bought out by somebody and remarketed as a nostalgia brand. I don't think it's in production anymore, either.

I've never heard of the other soaps you mentioned. Just stick with Williams. It's all you ever need.

3. APC

APC Member

Avoid Kingsley and Marvy.

4. Philq

Philq New Member

Don't bet the farm here but I was told that the Marvy is just a branded for the unnamed "Professional Soap" the barber supply used when Williams stopped making the "Tonsorial" version for barbers.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

only thing I'll add is the Van Der Hagen soaps I would not consider a "hard" soap - well, the Deluxe and the Glycerin are not hard soaps, I've not tried the white Select soap, but I don't think it's a milled soap either

/nit-picking :D

6. APC

APC Member

I used VDH Select last year. Because of the plastic container it's packed in, I used it on a couple of lengthy trips and finished it upon return. It may not be "hard", but it will last for quite a while. My results with it were reasonably good.

7. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Master's soap made suds, not lather... one of the worst I've ever used.