An Aluminum Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Aluminum and Black Tip Super Speed

Many decades ago Gillette produced a version of the Super Speed which was made of aluminum. Has anyone tried an aluminum Super Speed? If you have what is your opinion of it? What is the quality like compared to the other models of Super Speeds?

How about a black tip Super Speed? Can anyone say anything about the quality of a black tip Super Speed.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

jb, as I recall there was the blue tip and a black tip with an aluminum handle in the 50's. I've shaved with both, shaved about the same as a regular SS.
    I just didn't care for the aluminum handles, made the razor too light for my tastes. Others like them.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Same here. The blue tip SS is very light and the tendency is to apply more pressure during the shave which of course is not a good thing to do. I still have mine but I dont use it.

Raf

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Just paint the end RED and its allllll good ;)
    :D

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have heard that Gillette was trying to reduce production costs when they rolled out the aluminum handle version. Would go along way to explain why Gillette shifted to those horrible cartridge razors. They could siginficantly reduce production costs and significantly increases prices for the razors. Would make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the opinions this is excatly what I was looking for. I will skip the aluminum handle version. I am close to complete with my Super Speed collection, have a few more models to seek out. I have done a lot of research on the web and I know generally what prices Super Speeds go for and I am seeking others that have know idea what they are worth. That way I can pick up parts of my collection for a bargin basement prices.

My Super Speeds have upstaged what few three piece shavers I have left.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have the following:

Gillette TTO 1952 Black Tip Super Speed Date Code X1 Double Edged Razor (Doc has first dibs if I give it up.)

It has the aluminum handle. It's light but not uncomfortably so. It would make a nice travel razor. It's easy to shave with and performs similar to the other regular super speeds. I need to deep clean/polish the handle because it just keeps showing oxidation on the cloth when I wipe it down.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have a 40s Super Speed headed my way shortly and I would like to be prepared to use it properly before it arives on my doorstep. This is one of the models that has the special loading bar on it that Gillette invented to enable customers to load the blade quickly with. None of my others have the same bar on it, thus I am not aware of how to use the bar poperly. Nor am I aware of what the configuration will be like once it arives. Thus I have the obvious question: How do I properly make use of the super speed with the quick loading bar in it?

8. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

My favorite shaver. The loading bar was for old style blade holders, which you will occassionally still find US Personnas in, but single-wrapped blades will not be able to make use of this feature. I did not really even find it to work that well, to be honest. But it's one fine shaver. Best of luck.

J

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

That 40s is awsome, can't decide which of the super speeds I like the best they are all so awsome. So awsome that I have the last remaining piece of the super speed collection on its way, its a blue tip. Will windup the collection. I am going to hold off on the black tip for now a double edge made of aluminum strikes me as a bit too flimsly for my den. Anyone have a aluminum black tip as their go to. Anyone really like their aluminum black tip? Going to skip it for now.

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

jb,
    There were a couple of black tips offered during that time period. (50's)
    The aluminum that you speak of had an aluminum handle with the same steel head as a regular SS. The other, same head and a plated steel handle. Both sported a black tip twister, both medium shavers, just different years. An experimentation period for Gillette.