And my collection of vintage Gillettes begins

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 5Savages, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I've picked up three Gillette Tech razors. I think they're all considered ball-end techs. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anything you can tell me about them would be appreciated.

This first one is in beautiful shape. Near mint, I'd say. There was a used blade in it when I bought, so I know it's not unused, but had it not been there, I would have thought it was. The date code is A1. I love the logo on the head. I paid $24 for it at an antique mall. More than I wanted, but after hunting for 2 hours, I wasn't going to let a few dollars keep me from bringing it home.

[​IMG]

For the rest of these shots, the razor above is the razor in the middle. The one on the left, below, is another silver-colored tech, with no date code. It's clearly seen some use. I did noticed that the slots in the the middle piece are shaped differently than the other two. I probably shouldn't have bought this, considering I have the other two. I bought this at the same antique mall.

On the right is a gold-colored tech that I bought on BST across the street. It's in great shape but there is some reddish discoloration and the gold plating seems to be thin on the edges of the head. Still, it's a very nice example. On this one I noticed that outside the logo on the head, it's all glossy, as opposed to my boxed one, which has a matte finish. I also noticed the knurling on the ball is a bit wider than on the other two. Can I safely use scrubbing bubbles on this one? I noticed on the label of Scrubbing bubbles that it should not be used on brass. I'm not sure if this is brass or not. It has no date code.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Sweet looking techs! I think it is cool that you were able to snag an A1! enjoy them!

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

WOW the condition of those puts my Flare Tip and Slim Adjustable to shame! beautiful finds....and unfortunately now I'm half tempted to get some other Gillette Styles.....must resist...spent too much money already!

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Nice, those are in great shape. A1 is 1955.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Beautiful razors!

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I go to antique malls often in the Phx area and I may find a junk razor here or there, but I have never seen anything like your haul! Congrats. Must be those Razor Emporium guys getting there before me! :(

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! Enjoy!!

8. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Enjoy your nice haul!

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Sweet looking Techs, great haul enjoy your shaves.

10. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Techs are nice little razors. They shave on the mild side, but are nimble and maneuverable.

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

:transport016: It is just beginning... next you will find yourself with a Fatboy, a Black Beauty, a Slim, and a Superspeed or two. You'll even pick up a Weishi copy because it is cheap, and why not try it. "It may turn out to be a great first razor for my 13 year old son when he starts to shave." It wouldn't be fair to just try Gillette products - better get a Schick Krona, just to even things out a bit...

Then one day you'll think, "I wonder what those single blade razors are all about?" You will see some complimentary comments about the Gem Model 1912 in a couple forum entries, and so when you find one cheap you'll pick it up "just to try". It will give you a great shave, and soon you will have two, along with a Open Comb Micromatic, a couple Bullet Tips, a Clog-Pruf or two. One of these will give you the best shave you have EVER had, so you will launch out after the holy grail and get a couple G-bars, a Featherweight, and even one or two branded "Eveready", because they had such pretty handles...

Single edge razors are cool! And look, there is the whole Schick family of injectors! You'll need an older model from the 40's with a bakelite handle, say a type "E". Then so many neat looking type "F" and "G" specimens are available... You'll definitely want to try a Hydro-magic - even if you don't like the razor, it has such a cool name! You'll keep looking for the perfect type "M" - after all, they may be just as great as the Gillette adjustables...

Along the way you'll find a cheap Feather, a Treet, and other various misc. offerings showing up in your shaving cupboard - you won't even be sure where some of them came from. You may even get a Rolls. Some 27 or 28 in all. And to think, this all began just 3-4 months ago with a Lord L6, which convinced you that wet shaving was a good way to go, and worth spending a few dollars to get an EJ De89lbl...

This is all hypothetical, of course! Could never happen to anybody, really - could it? ;)

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It's just beginning!! Be careful, it is addictive!

13. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I agree. I find myself spending more and more time scouring ebay, antique stores, and online stores just to bid on razors!

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

And be careful - creams and soaps and blades are prolific little items - scandalous really - in their proclivity for nighttime multiplication! It seems that you no more than shut off the light and they can't wait to get the party started...! :party:

15. 5Savages

I think I have my SC/SS ADs under control. Not eliminated, mind you, but under control. My RAD I hope to limit to those I find in the wild. What I can't seem to get a grip on is my RBAD. 1500 and growing. I just ordered 100 Astra SP's, not because I like them (I don't) but because they were cheap. Well that, and I'm hoping that perhaps they'll work better in my techs then in my 38M.

16. 5Savages

The undated silver one, the one on the left (or bottom of the last photo), is now up for grabs.

17. AwNix

AwNix Member

Fat handles > ball end. Never sought ball ends out but own a couple that came w/ other razors I bought. Hardly ever shave w/ them. Fat handle Techs are great, especially the gold ones!