and... the real deal: Gillette Old type

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Feb 11, 2015.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Oh, dear... my recent acquisition of a generic Old type made me realize that I do not have a genuine Gillette Old type. Why do I keep cruising the bay? Will SWMBO really file for divorce?

I thought I was relatively safe. I knew I wasn't going to pay $20. Then I noticed I had never once tried the "Make offer" button. <sigh> Yeah...

I offered my real price of $11 delivered. The seller countered with $15. I was going to decline... and perhaps I should have... but I don't have a Gillette Old! I thought it would be rude to counter with my original $11, so I wrote this heartfelt note and was willing to walk away...

Hi, Thank you very much for the counteroffer. I think you can likely get $15 if you are willing to wait. However, I can (eventually) get this razor delivered for $10. I respect your final choice and thank you for your consideration. Best regards.
    but she accepted my counter of $12! Great! Now how do I explain the flood** of razors that has begun as of today?

**It's not really a flood. In fact, only 6. But SWMBO will see that as a tsunami!

Oh... and here's a couple of the seller's pics. It looks to pass @Darkbulb 's secret bargain-razor-buying check list! ;)

G-Old2a.JPG G-Old1a.JPG

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The handle looks good on that side. They usually have at least a small crack, sometimes a gigantic crack. I hope yours is none to small. It should clean up fine. I'd get rid of that blade though.

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Oh, the other side definitely has a crack. Looks hairline. If the handle turns out unusable, I'll be OK with it as long as the head is is intact. I still need a practice dummy for my planned science fair plating efforts! :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well it's not so secret any more is it now?!

maltedmilk likes this.
  5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Wow, I just got my first Old Type from the bay, also against my better judgement, I have six razors on their way to me, and my wife is also not at all amused by any of this nonsense. Are you me?

Douglas Carey and maltedmilk like this.
  6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Brothers to the bone! ;)

We may need to swap addresses so we can be roommates after our wives kick us out!

Douglas Carey and Lexicon Devil like this.
  7. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

That is not as unlikely as it was just a few days ago.

maltedmilk and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good one, plan ahead. :happy097:

Lexicon Devil and maltedmilk like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Make sure you guys get a place with two bathrooms.

10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations!