And the winner is...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoahG, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

Astra Superior Platinum.... These gave me the most comfortable shave for the longest time out of all the blades I've tried. I've ordered some more, and after a month or so of working on my technique, I might revisit some of the other blades. Can't wait to try these with my new soaps and creams from the store here and Bullgoose!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's posts like this that make me feel sorry for those who view shaving as the dreaded scraping of the face.

Glad you've found a good blade for you. Astra SPs are only one of two blades I've purchased in bulk. The other being the Dorco ST301s.

Enjoy those blades with your new soaps!

3. It 's always hard to say what is the best blade. Astra platinum and 'certainly one of the best, but' to me personally all give a good shave from Gillette Tiger, to the Feather ...

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Definitely a good blade. It's the first blade I ever used.. then I found better in the Israeli Personna blade for the same price.. then even better in the BIC blade for about the same price.. then even better in the Voskhod blade for about the same price.. blades are a YMMV thing of course but don't be surprised if you try something else later on down the road and find yourself selling off or PIFing off your Astra stash. :happy102

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Oh, I'm sure I will. But at least I've found something to stick with for now and work on my technique. I can't believe that I wish that my beard grew faster so I could shave more!!

6. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

The Astra SP blades are the first blades I ever bought in bulk. They work great in most of my razors. I bought a stainless Merkur razor and plopped in an Astra and it was terrible. I tried a different Astra blade and had the same results. I almost traded the Merkur off then I tried a Feather Blade in it and had fantastic results. Guess what I'm saying is if you really like Astras don't be afraid to keep experimenting with other blades especially when trying new razors.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The Astra SP are a decent blade, but not my favorite. I found some for about $9/100 shipped on the bay. For that price, they were well worth it to me to buy a sleeve.

8. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I though the Astra SP was okay but not in the top 3 but again it shows the differences in what we like for blades.

9. ginsu

ginsu New Member

I need to revisit the Astra SP. I remember not loving it early on, but I have come around to some other blades I didn't like now that my technique has improved.

Oh, well, at least now I know what tomorrow's blade will be:D

10. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

A few more great blades would be Gillette Yellow/Nacet/Gillette Bleue Extra (smooth n stiff like a Swede) Dorco 301 Platinum..ALL great!

ST