Android stuff

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sol92258, Mar 29, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

Newbie here... I'm in love with my Captivate(other than the GPS) and I'm currently rocking the serendipity ROM. I love Android, I just wish I could find a good armband style case for work outs.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Today's free Amazon App: Flight Control game

3. raded6

raded6 New Member

I haven't had an error message pop up since I turned on 3g compatibility in the settings. I find it weird they even have an option like that.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I was almost ready to give up my HTC Touch Pro Windows phone and dive into Android until my carrier, Cellular South, announced that its new 4G high speed data network will be rolling out in about 6 months. So I'll wait until then. With 4G, you can use data, such as browse the web and use apps like Tapatalk and be in a call at the same time. Can't do that on the current 3G data network we have. Plus I don't want to buy a new phone now, be stuck in a 2 year contract and have to pay full price for a new 4G phone in 6 months. Plus my carrier is just now rolling out an upgrade to Android 2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S - when 2.3 is about to be released. If it weren't for the fact that Cellular South is unlimited EVERYTHING for $80 a month, I'd leave them and go with Verizon but Verizon is $40 more for unlimited everything.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Today's free app. Talking Tom Cat... really?????

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Weatherbug app on my Windows 6.5 phone is full of awesomeness. Maybe the phone versions are what the desktop versions should be?

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Didn't check every post here, but dig the thread. The HTC Evo is by far and away the best smart phone I've ever had, and I've been using them going back to the early days of Palm pilots and phones. My job requires me to keep track of so many passwords, websites, phone #'s, addresses, sections of law and on and on and on. All of this used to get written down in a little green pocket notebook which had to be redone every year they were such a mess. Smartphones were/are a godsend to me. And the Evo does everything I need and more.

Now I'm looking at the new tablets coming this summer. LG and Samsung both look to have some decent tablets coming that will run Honeycomb. I'm not a fan of the current Galaxy Tab; the 7" screen is too small for my tastes plus I'm not convinced using the phone OS on tablets was a great idea. Looking forward to checking out the new versions when they arrive.

8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Don't overlook the Asus tablets, full of promise, at a good price.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

+1. I refused to buy the application because of the reputation I associate with the name. I love the Android version.

10. NoahG

NoahG Member

I just started using a little app called "parcels" that not only tracks all your various shipments, but shows it on a map... pretty cool for those of us with an internet shopping dependency problem

11. sol92258

Parcels is great!
    My first impression was not so great, but it turned out it was a UPS issue...actually, the company I ordered the product from never updated, but since then it's been spot on

12. NoahG

NoahG Member

Since we've got Tapatalk users here, can you tell me how to get the review forums to show up in it? I'm on here on my phone almost as much as on my desktop.

13. sol92258

Today's Amazon Free paid App of the Day - Solitaire Megapack

14. sol92258

I can't seem to find it either. May not be a feature available with Tapatalk, but I don't know

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

oh no... the addictive collapse game is today's free app.

16. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth New Member

I'm sort of posting this from my EVO. It's rooted and hosting the wireless internet connection that my linux based laptop is surfing with. That counts right? :D

I keep telling my brother that iOS is like the civilized East coast, and Android is like the Wild West. We operate on totally different wavelengths and Android phones only sort-of follow rules.

Shep,
    Why do you need an EVO and a tablet? I haven't found a need yet. My laptop handles the big stuff and the phone gets the daily goodness.

17. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Web surfing and maybe Netflix and maybe as an eReader. I have no laptop nor any inclination to buy one, and I'm about fed up with Windows based desktops. Always crashing and blacking out. The only plus is a nice big screen really but I'm not sure I'd miss that too awful much. The home computer has basically become nothing more than an email, internet search, bill pay tool for me which could just as easily get done on a portable tablet. It's in the kick-around phase right now. Wife really wants an iPad so I'll prob get one for her b-day. I'll play around with it and then make a decision.

18. sol92258

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

ya know... you would think Google would get their own apps working on android phones in a quicker fashion. Gmail and GReader apps are worthless, I hope the Google Docs app works better. Actually working at all would be better than those others.

20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

BG and I just got back from picking up a couple of phones.

Can we call them phones anymore?

Anyway, I went cheap and got the LG Ally because it was $50.00 and has the tactile slide out keyboard that I refuse to move away from. After all, I just recently upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows Xp Pro and Linux Mint 5 LTS to Mint Debian, so I guess I am a slow adopter.

BG grabbed the Motorola Droid X.

Now to explore these things and find out all the benefits. BG originally wanted the iPhone but when we learned you have to pay $50.00 to have it programmed and if anything goes wrong it has to go to Apple we decided on Droid.