Another 37c review...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Retired, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Retired

Retired New Member

Here http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/if-i-like-the-9.26813/#post-465060 I asked for suggestions for a more aggressive razor, and promptly got hooked up with a lightly used Merkur 37c.

I received that razor Friday afternoon, and have shaved with it Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. My usual routine is to apply Noxema, shower, then shave. My usual creme is Neutrogena Sensitive, whipped to a lather and applied with a boar brush. My usual blade is the Racer brand. My usual aftershave is a bit of Cornhuskers Lotion.

All 3 of these shaves have been great: reasonably smooth with one pass WTG and then a touch-up XG around the jaw line. No nicks. No next-day irritation.

I really love the feel of this razor. I tend to choke up on everything I grip, so the short handle suits me perfectly. It's heavy. The knurling on the handle gives a good grip. This is the first razor I've used where I can really use "no pressure" and still get it to bite like it should. My only complaint would be that the head is a little fat for shaving up under my nose.

This morning I varied the routine a bit and used a Vokstod I had been given by the previous owner of this razor. This was even smoother than my Racer...like there wasn't a blade in the razor at all. Almost too smooth to tell what I'm doing smooth.

All of this surprises me a bit. I would have figured a more aggressive razor and sharper blade was the opposite of what I need. I never would have experimented without the help of this forum.

Dave

Neolithium and swarden43 like this.
  2. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Welcome to the slant shave crew! The slant is such a unique shaver, and at first glance it is very intimidating! I was more cautious using my 39C on first attempt than I was with my 2011 R41! The slant is more forgiving than the R41, in the respect that a "rush" shave can be done with the slant without too much of a problem in my opinion.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Glad you like it! I think it's quickly become my favourite razor. It doesn't seem to be very finicky with blades, and it mows down stubble like there's no tomorrow.

4. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Nice review. I use the Gillette 7 o'clock black or blue in this razor so it likes a sharp razor.

CyanideMetal likes this.