Another Haunted Razor On eBay

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The ectoplasm is getting a bit thick in that listing!

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well the Fatboy I got from you hasn't flown across the room or danced or anything. As far as this particular item on the Bay it's going to sell for way too much based on the novelty. A group on Facebook found it and that's when the price and story suddenly got high and more verbose. I had it on my watch list for at least a week before they found it. Honestly, for $9.99 I would have bought it just to give my "haunted razor" some company. I am a student of the paranormal, as it's referred to, with experience in a lot of strange things. But....once you tell me something has to be kept in a box with a crucifix on it and has had an exorcism done on it - I'm calling you a bold faced liar. Novelty item? Ok. As far as the razor? A beat up, looks like severely corroded Tech that you can find in better shape in at least a thousand other places for equal or less money. By the way - once the opening bid jumped from $9.99 to $19.99 and they put that ridiculous $199.99 buy it now price on it I dumped it off my watch list.

Keithmax, John Ruschmeyer and RyX like this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Agreed.

In some ways, the story might explain the behavior of the razor if we accept the idea of it absorbing energy at the time of death. Picture it... here's poor Clyde, grievously injured and standing in the bathroom. I think it's safe two assume a) he's not interesting in shaving in his condition and b) he probably didn't store his razor by leaving it on the floor. So, we can probably assume he was standing at the sink and somehow knocked the razor to the floor before collapsing on top of it. The behavior the razor reportedly demonstrates (i.e., flying around the room breaking objects) could be an echo of those last few seconds of Clyde's life. This is consistent with haunted places where spirits appear to be stuck in a time loop.

It's the Pride parade and phallic float part that really strains credibility, if only in its specificity.

Keithmax, RyX, NCoxSTL and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good thing he didn't fall on his shampoo bottle!

Keithmax likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't viewed the bay listing but didn't someone say the razor was corroded to the point of not being usable? I'd question the whole story if it wasn't a functional tool.

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

Best photo from the listing:
    [​IMG]
    Not the best example of a pre-War Tech, but I'd stop short of saying unusable. What I can't decide is whether the condition is consistent with a razor:
    • That may have had questionable original plating (my personal pre-War Tech has chunks of plating missing)
    • Was probably somewhat brassed in 2004
    • Put away without any cleanup
    • And then kept in uncertain conditions since then.
    I have to say, though, that if this razor isn't haunted, then the seller has gone to ridiculous lengths to auction an item that would otherwise have trouble getting a $0.99 opening bid.

Personally, I suspect no one is going to actually bid on it.

Keithmax, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Ectoplasm isn't the word that I was thinking, but it is time for taller boots!

Keithmax, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It's worth every bit of two bucks with free shipping! Adding a bogus story doesn't do anything for me, but I'll bet someone gets it just for bragging rights.

9. John Ruschmeyer

The stupid part in all this is that I actually caught myself Googling "Pride parade accident 2004".

dustmite and RyX like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I think it's just a prank as Halloween is coming up. The seller figures that maybe he can make a few extra bucks for a made up story and have some fun to boot. Also, I don't think you'll ever find a priest ever performing an excorcism on a Gillette tech.

RyX likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don't believe in haunted shaving equipment, but it is fun to talk about.

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

No pix please! :scared011:

RyX likes this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

Yeah, those are more the purview of Jersey Shore-wannabees with night vision equipment. :)

For me, it's been an interesting discussion. Normally, if you heard about a haunted razor, you'd picture a SR with a mind of its own and a taste for blood. OTOH, it's been kind of fun to speculate on the nature and cause of the phenomenon.

Keithmax, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

17. John Ruschmeyer

Well, with just under 3hrs to go, there are no bids on it. So, I assume it will either go in a last minute snipe fest or not at all.

Ironically, I just noticed that the seller is in the same town (Corona, CA) as my wife's sister and brother-in-law. :)

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There's about 30 minutes remaining on the auction and still no bidders.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Wait!!!!!!!

Did you see the auction? It's listed as BIN at$199.95. Is he kidding? It's not the razor that's possessed, it's the seller!

Sheesh.

:confused:

sdguero and RyX like this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

And it's over! With no bidders. Now to see if it's relisted... :)