another NEW question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adeptus_Minor, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Well, ok, it might not be a new question...but it's a NEW question.
    I asked this in passing on another thread and haven't really seen any answers (mayhap there isn't a real answer?)

I have a few common bar-handle NEW razors.
    Three of them have combs with small teeth, one has a comb with large teeth that go out and then angle down.
    Other than the comb style, I see no obvious differences between them.
    Was the large-toothed model just something they did for one or two years of that series? Did it have a different name or model designation?

Since I got them in an auction lot, I cannot guarantee that some parts didn't get switched with another razor that wasn't part of the batch I bought.
    However, I've seen other examples... I think one of the NEW's that Scotty is selling right now has the large-toothed comb... so that leads me to believe it wasn't just a mix-up.

Aspiring razor-geeks want to know!

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

3. Adeptus_Minor

Thanks Justin!
    Achim's site was actually one of the sites I consulted to make sure I didn't have a frankenrazor.
    I just hadn't really seen a discussion or listing of which models or years did or didn't have the large-toothed comb.
    From the examples he has available, it looks like the Red & Black, the Expo, and maybe one of the Blue-Gold's had large combs. These all seem to have the same bar handle so mine could be an example of any of these.
    The NEW Norfolk and Bostonian I'm not sure about (because of the angle of the pictures).

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

and to add to the (my?) confusion...it seems that some of the base plates are smooth bottomed and some carry the ridge through...

Pics courtesy of Mr. Razor's website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My NEW has the ridge...but I must say that I like the looks of the smooth one better... until I saw the pics of the 1930's President on his site.... I.MUST.HAVE.

[​IMG]

sorry for the threadjack there A_M :ashamed001

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I think I like the ridged bottom better. Just looks more designed and not just a slab of metal.

I don't have information on which heads were made when or if certain razors had different teeth in different years. I wish I did; however, as these are all interchangeable, who is to say any razor you pick up is not a combination of parts from other razors.

That president is nice though!

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the flat bottomed NEWs are the older ones. My reasoning is that, unless I'm mistaken, the NEW came after the New Improved, which shares the same flat bottom. I think it was just easier to fill in the pin holes in the mold. Then they realized the could save some money in metal by removing some from the bottom.

I think the flat bottoms would be just a touch heftier, IMO...

7. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

The Bar handle also have large (.400) and small (.340) tips to fit the large and small gaps in the bar on the bottom of the head.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Speaking of which, what are your custom handles made to fit either head gap size?

9. Adeptus_Minor

Hrm... that explains why one of the NEW's I have doesn't quite fit into that notch. (not the one I sent to be re-plated, of course)
    It holds just fine, it just doesn't fit into the notch.

My thoughts on the flat bottom are similar to what Truckman said... holdovers from the New Improved.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

My understanding is that the flat bottom ones are called De Luxe. The Big Fellow type, with the flat bottom also a taper at the top end of the tightening knob. See post #3 on this Haul thread.

11. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Rather than start a new thread just to ask "what type is this one"
    Well, what type is this one?
    I know it's an english new improved, but I can't find any similar handles and I don't know if it's missing a end cap. The handle is thinner that a ball end, so a ball end cap from another new/new improved doesn't fit, and the shape of the handle with the plain knurling doesn't look like a ball end handle either (unless it's a ball end tech size that is).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

anyone?

13. Adeptus_Minor

It doesn't conform to anything on Achim's sight, as far as I can tell... :confused:
    I'm sure someone with 'the Krumholz book' can find more information about it.

14. riffin

riffin Active Member

Maybe it's not a Gillette handle? Just a guess...

Was the New Improved with the key holes common in UK? Does the top have corner grips like the Probak/Goodwill? Regardless, that's very cool and interesting razor!

15. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Might not be the correct handle. But it was worn equally to the razor head when I bought it. And as I mentioned, it's a smaller diameter to a normal ball end or plain new/improved razor. The wear/marking/scratching etc into the head that the handle makes isn't any bigger that this handle is, so it doesn't look like the common larger types of handles were ever screwed onto this head.
    I've never seen the keyhole stud cutting before either. Whatever this razor is, that has to be a big clue as it's not common.

It has nothing else to hold the blade and you have to hold the blade straight and as still as you can while tightening to make sure it's even.
    Probably wasn't a problem with old blades, but more variance in blades these days. Edit: nope, tried with an old servex blade I had (not exactly three holes, but oval slots where the studs are) this razor would chew you up unless you aligned the blade yourself while tightening, even then one side could have more exposure than the other. A micrometer is definitely required to operate this thing.

16. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Now I'd have to say it's the right handle, because I got another one exactly the same today. Same head, same handle, and no cap on the bottom.

17. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

I´ve the same razor in a Service Set case. But I know nothing about him :o

Attached Files: