Another Wet Shaver is created!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My 13 year old son announced that he was tired of his mustache. Despite the fact that older brother suggested that he put some cream on his lip and let the cat lick it off, he realized that he needed to shave. So off to the men's room in our house! I had to stop and assure my wife that I wouldn't let him disfigure himself totally and that he was learning to shave with the same kind of razor that I learned to shave with almost 40 years ago.

I purchased a Ball End Tech for him last year and have a few brushes lying around, so he has a The Golden Nib synthetic and he decided he could use whatever soap I use. I gave him a quick lesson about washing his face and loading up the brush, then he whipped up a frothy and wet lather in my lather bowl. He applied it gingerly to his ace and then proceeded to wipe the shaving cream off his face with the cap of the razor, leaving behind the burgeoning whiskers. So, apply more lather and then worked on getting the angle closer to right. Big Brother (23) was hovering much more than I was and he gave him lots of tips.

Happy to say that no blood was seen and his young face is smooth and slick. A quick application of Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns and he is back to his computer, clicking away at something. I expect the girls will notice on Monday! Mom pointed out the epic battle scene with legos and toy soldiers in his room and commented about having another man-child in the house now.

End of lesson, the torch is passed onto a new generation. He can do it without me or big brother hovering around now.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

That's a great story. I'm glad it went well. It sounds like your son's first DE shave went better than some of ours.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Troy M likes this.
  3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Probably helped that he was basically taking "down" off his face.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Good times Troy!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Troy M likes this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Couldn't have picked a better starter razor. The ball-end is my favorite.

Troy M likes this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great story. My 14 year old needs to start shaving, but is still in denial. I will get him a Gillette Slim within the year.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Troy M and RetLEO-07 like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's a cool story, Troy, and I'm sure it's one you'll both remember for a long time. Your son is off to a great start!

Troy M and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My father started me with either a FB (his old one) or a Slim, I don't remember which one. I remember him telling me not to take it above 3. Ha -- and there was blood.

Morman Bridge, Troy M and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Great way to get your son started.

Troy M likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Troy M likes this.