Anti Cartridge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I think those who shave everyday are anti-whisker.

Something wet shavers I believe can agree upon.

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I personally don’t care as much about the razor but I really couldn’t go back to the shave gels. They are really quite bad for the skin a butane byproduct is used as the propellant in many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Keithmax likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It works great that way!

MR41 likes this.
  5. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have seen those on sale, but never bought one. Maybe I'll have to rethink that.
    Thanks for sharing.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For a cart, it's pretty damn good, IMO. Besides, their Chrome Platinum DE blades are great.

Keithmax and EnglishChannel like this.
  7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

NO. I'm NOT anti-cart. I don't limit my options in that way.

We can all agree that practice of shaving has been around a whole lot longer than before our fathers and grandfathers.
    If you aren't shaving with a straight razor, you haven't even gone back more than one generation - just sayin'.

I have shaved with most of the readily available platforms - straights, shavettes, SE, DE, and multiblade cartridge razors.
    They each provide a different shaving experience - and I value them ALL.

Shaving is part of a persons personal style, grooming, and personal hygiene. As diverse as any individual trait or habit.
    For me, shaving became a hobby as well as all of that, and I enjoy my hobby just as I suspect you enjoy yours - your way.

I appreciate and enjoy ALL the knowledge and opinions expressed on TSD, regardless of personal preference.
    So keep the forum open for discussing the widest variety of many shaving related topics, and I am happy to participate.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Last time I used a trac 3 I tossed it after one shave. Just couldn't bring myself to use enough pressure maybe. Anyway it felt harsh. I was surprised. So yeah I won't go back.

Marine68, BigMike and Keithmax like this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Four generations, at least. Right at 5. A generation is considered to be 25 years, and the 'razor on a stick' devices have been around since the late 1800's, and we're now into 2017. So 5 generations would be 1892.

EnglishChannel, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  10. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

@ TobyC -- You're lucky! I don't always agree with my own opinions.

Cartridge razors? I prefer Trac-II over all other cartridge type. Though I almost never use them, I still keep a few around, and yes, they are useful for airline travel, as TSA will confiscate carry-on DE razors and blades. You can put them with checked baggage, and by all means put them in with your guns when you check them ;). Anyway, confiscation would sadden me greatly, so I take no chances. Fortunately, most of my airline travel is behind me.

Do I need a permit to carry a loaded concealed DE razor? Don't bring one to school, kids.

Cheers!
    Tony

11. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I’ve never had them take a razor just blades. Usually they’ll open the razor to make sure there’s no blade in it. I leave a 3 piece apart in my bag that usually helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnglishChannel likes this.
  12. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I remember before I went into DE wet shaving, I was frustrated by the high price of carts, so I bought some cheap ones from Lidl. Little did I know, I needed 2 carts for 1 shave as they would go blunt mid-shave.

EnglishChannel, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very good!!

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, why?

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Years of bad shaves with expensive cartridge are what made me seek an alternative and led me to buy my first DE some 20+ years ago. That was pre internet; finding razors, blades and accessories has certainly become a lot easier. I'll still use a cartridge in my carry-on, but it only reminds me of what a great decision it was to switch.

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I use carts/plastic razors for travel often enough. I've actually learned how to get fantastic shaves with them due to learning how to DE shave.

Aside from the cost and corproate greed behind them I dislike the plastic waste cost. I get way better and longer lasting shaves from a DE/SE/Str8 though.

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used carts consistently for about 20 years from the time I first started shaving. Being clean shaved was required for my work. Unfortunately I seldom got a smooth irritation free shave from them. After I began "traditional" shaving, around 7 years ago, I never went back. For me DE wet shaving has all the advantages you want, inexpensive, choice, quick, easy and works well.
    About the only advantage I see with carts is it's pretty hard to nick yourself with one even if you shave fast, though it can be done. I do see many observations of carts being faster to use, but I disagree with that, its the shaving prep most of us here use that isn't used with carts, that can make the your shave a tad bit slower, but also immensely more pleasurable and irritation free. IMO if you do the same prep with either DE or carts the shaving time would pretty much be the same and the comfort level with the cart would go up some.
    If I ever had to fly I'm would just get some disposables or some Trac2 heads and a handle and suffer for a little while.
    So I'm not anti cart or electric, I'm just Pro DE, SE, Injector and Straight. :happy088:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  18. jar

jar Well-Known Member

There are things I like, and things Others like that I do not like.

I will use a ball point or roller ball if I'm too far from home to go get a fountain pen but I'm not anti Others using ball points or roller ball pens.

I am not anti Others drinking Lite Beer but unless there is nothing else to drink and I'm severely dehydrated I'll pass.

I am not anti Others drinking Scotch (and as a child I did drink Black & White 'cause it was liberated from a friend's dads stash. Bob never took so much that his dad would notice it missing so it was seldom more than a case at a time.) but unless there is nothing else to drink and I'm severely dehydrated I'll pass. Hell I even have a sister that claims to like Scotch.

Cartridge and electric razors fall in the same category. I'm not anti Others using them.

19. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I'm far from anti cart. As a head shaver even after switching to DE , carts still do the best for me. I try various types of razors from disposables to the "clubs". Defender is a great razor for those of us who have sensitive skin. I got into DE shaving after reading how good they are for sensitive skin. Well all I can say in my case is ... What I've learned about shaving in the DE community has improved my shaves all around. DE or cart .

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I used carts for many years with either canned shaving cream or a brush and soap. I was able to get very good shaves from them and with my skin type didn't have any problems with irritation. I picked up shaving with a DE razor is 2014 and began using better quality shaving soaps and creams. That one aspect has made the biggest difference with my skin looking and feeling better. If I still traveled for work, I could see myself using carts again.