Anti Cartridge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 19, 2018.

1. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I am NOT anti Cart. I am pro cart!
    I find it laughable when folks say the Carts are terrible and cause all these problems - do a 3 pass shave with ATRA, Trac II, or a Schick eXtreme disposable and u will get a GREAT shave.

I gotta start using my disposables and barbosol cans more

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Someone had to poke the bear, right?

EnglishChannel and Keithmax like this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad Primo, I use my Braun Series-7's trimmer to clean up the back of my neck.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. chevyguy

Cremo works great too.

Clayton

MR41 and EnglishChannel like this.
  5. chevyguy

Try to find some Schick Slim Twin Carts on Ebay. They will fit your Atra handle and they give a comfortable smooth shave, plus they have push button on them that cleans out the stubble. I would still be using these daily if they made them.

Clayton

6. chevyguy

It's OK brushless, but it really works well with a brush. For traveling use a quick drying synthetic brush.

Clayton

MR41 likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. On the last cruise the wife and I went on, I left ALL of my shaving gear and had to come home and order everything new. I refused to shave until it all arrived..

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Bookworm

No spares? Should I send you some?

Keithmax likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

how long did it take to convert most of north america to shave with carts?
    were they better than de/se in those days?
    if carts were worse back in the 70s and 80s, could we have revolted then and stopped the carts in their tracks?
    not all countries converted like north america did they?..........just curious. something seems amiss

Keithmax likes this.
  10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Actually - a generation has been considered 40+ years for thousands of years.
    But I get your point.
    So do you shave with a straight razor or not?

Keithmax likes this.
  11. EnglishChannel

This is what I am talking about. Very well stated.
    Thank you.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Umm. No?

https://isogg.org/wiki/How_long_is_a_generation?_Science_provides_an_answer
    For humans, it's been 25 years, as being the rough estimate from birth to childbearing years. (This may be incorrect, as shown in the article, but it's been 25 for a while)

Anyway - do I shave with a straight? No. @DaltonGang has honed several for me, but I haven't taken the time to sit down with one and start the experimentation. I suspect I also need to replace the leather in one of the two strops I have, as they were gifts. The canvas side should be okay, but the leather side is patterned. I need to ask someone here to look at a picture of it :)

Keithmax likes this.
  13. EnglishChannel

You are right. I was speaking about the Biblical definition of generation, and I may have miss-stated it.
    I do not mean to offend anyone in this thread. I am just attempting to defend ALL shavers (including cartridge users).
    TSD has many members that are not "converted" to "traditional" methods of shaving.
    Their opinions and experiences are welcome, and appreciated as well.

I wish you well in your pursuit of traditional shaving methods. You will get much support here.
    I can tell you are well on the way.
    Here's hoping that you achieve the shave you are searching for.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

We got OK shaves with cartridge razors. I don't think we knew any better then, and certainly the DE's of those days were not better. I don't recall blades then being better than they are now, nor longer lasting. And it wasn't like the change to the present cartridge razor products, as semi-stagnant as they are now, was overnight. It was a marketing thing-- it always is. I'm fascinated with product design and marketing and how the market is made and changed. Let's face it (no pun intended), DE's had been around for the better part of a century, and although they evolved (just take a look at Gillette history) and had competitors (injectors, etc), when Gillette -- the voice of shaving, really -- came out with the Techmatic, who didn't want to jump on the "band" wagon -- not many. Their product design was intriguing and their advertising pitches for safe tools to make the shaving "chore" quick, foolproof and easy were top notch. Certainly their marketing approach of basically giving the customer a razor and locking him into buying the blades is a terrific approach to success. I wish I had had some of their stock sometimes. When they went the multiple blade route, in all it's developments over almost 50 years now up to the current venetian blind style, it was an attractive path for its customers. Users didn't want to get left behind, either. The old tools took expertise, time, space and attention. Gillette liberated us from this drudgery. There was a market for these ideas, and still is.

I dare say we on these forums tend to be nostalgic hobbyist aficionados, reveling in the "old ways". We like the ritual -- the process, the techniques -- and of course, the results! We are probably still a fringe group when it comes to shaving -- we like it that way, too. DE and SE shaving are obviously enjoying growth -- a revival. It's reaching more people, and unlikely enough, some new folks will probably shave that way for the rest of their lives -- I likely will. I liken it to trends in craft brewed beer and craft cocktails: Probably the majority are still drinking American mass-market swill and so-called cocktails that basically come out of the "bar gun", as well as shaving with whatever Gillette has on the shelf. Maybe big companies like Gillette notice us, but we actually don't care. Anheuser-Busch and Miller Coors probably haven't been hurt much by the craft beer trend; they even try to jump on the band wagon. Yes, occasionally I use some of their products, but they don't interest me anymore -- they just don't speak my language.

Anyway, to wrap up this ramble, I switched early in my shaving years to the "whatever Gillette et al put on the shelves" way for convenience -- I was sold; the "can and cartridge razor" were good products that worked for me. I gradually switched back to the old brush, soap and DE razor for other reasons. Yes, I have discovered new pleasures, and yes, I do justify it by talking about my enjoyment of the process and the results, but frankly, I have to admit I was quite satisfied with the results I got along the way with the mainstream products, and I probably spend more on shaving now than ever before. So I can't really say I'm anti-cartridge razors -- I feel I understand them and give them their due, and even use them in some cases. However, Free to Choose as I try to be (I'm a Milton Friedman man), I prefer the path I'm on now. Just as with the classic beer, cocktails, guns, golf clubs, airplanes, motorcycles, cars and music in my life, it's not just the destination, it's the journey.

Cheers!
    Tony Lowe

15. Bookworm

I certainly wasn't offended (The biblical definition of generation could be difficult, considering that at the beginning, they were apparently living for hundreds of years). I don't know that I'll ever be a full straight razor shaver, but I would like to get the basic skill to use one. I like the convenience of not having to spend a ton of money on stones, and just changing out the blade when it's dull.

Cartridges? I tried the disposables. I tried the two blade, and even three at least once, I think. I found that they simply don't shave as well as a DE, and in fact caused more physical damage. (One blade is at the right angle, so you have two that are at the wrong angle. One misses the skin, the other digs in.)

Keithmax and EnglishChannel like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

A Trac II gives me a great shave.
    A Schick Krona gives me a great shave.
    A Fatip Grande gives me a great shave.

What's the problem?

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The problem is, that a Fatip can give a great shave!!

:D

18. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I like the shaving rituals, lathering, stropping,... and I like a selfhoned razor,... other than that, each his own, it has been quite a while since a tried a cassette, maybe one of these?

Ohw I don't like very hairy women

MR41 and Keithmax like this.
  19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    But you like hairy women? Just not very hairy women. :D

MR41 and Arnout like this.
  20. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

It depends a bit where the hair is situated, and how visible/ stubby,...

MR41 likes this.