Anticipating the next shave ...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hoss304, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Anyone else suffer this disease? After a good shave I start planning the next one. I just found myself organizing the den thinking over what the next shave will be lol. I bought a new brush today and don't need a shave. It's kind of like when you got a new bike for Christmas as a kid and the weather was too bad to take her for a spin.
    Cheers

SHAVEWIZARD420, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Yep! Get a good rotation going. I'm in Texas in the summer...so I have a heavy menthol rotation currently.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

While I still very much enjoy my shaves, so much so I do shave every day (no, not required for work, I just enjoy shaving), to include days off, I will say the novelty has worn off. I no longer plan tomorrow's shave while cleaning up from today's shave.

PanChango likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I'm weird. I plan my week's shaves ahead of time. That way, I can take my SOTD pictures all at one time. I have a spreadsheet that helps me in planning. I set up the next day after I finish my morning shave and wake up in the morning saying to myself, "All right, today I get to shave with ...." Usually, after I plan out the week, I don't deviate from the plan. Sometimes I will deviate though. Then I have to retake my SOTD picture.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Everytime I think I have my RAD under control something new pops into my sights.:) Don't worry about it just embrace it.:happy088:

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Participating in the 30 Day Rule Focus Group I try to stick to a theme for each month. I'm not one for the Rule which is using the same set up for 30 days. Instead I Focus on a particular razor while rotating other products to keep the process fresh. This month the suggested theme is Adjustable August so I'm using my favorite DE - a '59 Fat Boy. I've been sampling odd blades rather than my favorites. Soap and AS I've left to the last minute unless discussion in a thread inspires me. Brushes are never the same one twice and tend to boar with hard soaps, badger & creams, or synthetic wildcards.

RetLEO-07 and Keithmax like this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I go through phases and cycles. Oddly enough, I recently shaved off a full beard. I tend to stick with the same stuff for weeks on end these days.

8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have gone through different phases with rotations and pre-planning. Everything from very strict to laissez faire. Lately I generally think about my morning shave the night before, sometimes laying out everything, then I get up in the morning and change everything. I do tend to rotate between DE, SE and SR. And the reason I do that is because I really enjoy the qualities of each kind of razor and the shaving process and outcome associated with each. Everything else seems to be by whim. Life's too short to get hung up on strict routines. Live it up...grab the first soap, razor, brush, AS that grabs your attention and run with it!

RyX, Keithmax and swarden43 like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Well, there's Menthol Monday, Wool Fat Wednesday and RED Friday
    Tuesday and Thursday I wing it.
    Razor depends on what's going on. This month it's Adjustable August
    Next month it's SEptember.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to play along for that! Can't seem to get past my MMOC lately...

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I always have an idea of the next day's shave, and you can be sure when a new toy arrives I'll insert an evening shave whether I need one or not. Growing up is overrated.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No idea what I'll use until it is time.
    No real pre-planning, scheduling or anticipation...most of the time
    The one exception to the 'planning & anticipation' is if I've just honed a razor and want to take the test drive.

Rusty blade and RyX like this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mine are pretty random. I pick a razor the night before and strop it because I get up early in the morning and like things ready. I have no plan before I make the choice.

RyX and Rusty blade like this.
  14. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

I don't really plan ahead. Mostly cause I don't have much. I do however get excited for the next shave though. It has become a personal time to relax and forget the world. Wish I could shave daily honestly but my face doesn't enjoy a blade ran across it every 24. So every other day has to suffice.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think I start planning 30 seconds in advance, with the question whether I am going to change the blade in my razor, or keep it for another day.

mrchick likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Kevin, that it's hard to believe given the quality of your pictures.

RyX, mrchick and HolyRollah like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I did at one point, but those days are far in the past.

I pretty much stick with a razor until the blade is done. I don't like moving a blade between razors. If I feel like a change at new blade time, Ill grab something different. Most times laziness wins and I use the same thing for a few weeks or months at a time.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Keith, for the kind words.

mrchick likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Right before the shave I choose. Lately, I have been using one blade in one razor until that blade is spent, although I continue to remove the blade after shaving. I don't like leaving my razors wet or soapy. I guess I could re-insert the blade, but I like the razor to dry thoroughly.

RyX likes this.
  20. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I decide right before my shave. Taking into account what's on tap for after, I start by choosing an AS. Then I pick a soap to complement, choose a brush, then a razor. Blades get picked when I toss the old one.

RyX likes this.