Antique Gillette Tech Razor Gold Washed / Finished

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Arty, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Arty

Arty New Member

I bought a Gillette Tech Razor Gold Platedm, Washed, Finished? It came in what I believe is the original box. I was looking to date it with a serial number but only found a patent number issue and reissue number? After doing some minor research I found that if there is no serial number it was manufactured between 1921 and I believe 1929? It also came with two still the in original paper cover blades that have a 1938 date on the paper cover? Also, the head appears to be more curved than my Gillette President Razor leaving me to believe the reason the blades are so pliable is so they are able to lay nicely on the curve. I do not know at this point if they would still sell blades this pliable to work with this razor? I know most blades are pliable and bend though with this curve angle they may need to be thinner than most blades. I am real new at this so I do not know. Can anyone give me some of their experience on this? Also can I use scrubbing bubbles or any cleaner to clean and disinfect the razor befeore using it without harming the gold wash and or finish?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gillette stopped using date codes in 1929 (with one exception to 1931) and started using them again in 1950-1. No date codes from 1930 - 1949 for U.S. razors.

A razor made in 1938 will not have a date code.

http://gillettedatecodes.com/

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles and have not harmed the gold finish on razors.

I have used modern DEs on all types of Gillette razors from 1907 - 1986 including the pre WWII tech series.

3. Arty

Arty New Member

Thanks, everyone recommends scrubbing bubbles though one individual said he used a green non foaming bathroom cleaner from Walmart that dissolved soap scum, disinfected and did not harm the razor.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Yep that one would be me. I just use it because it actually works better on my bathrub and does an equally good job on my razors for only $1.04/bottle ;)

5. Arty

Arty New Member

Great, thank you for the response.

6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362352387.539648.jpg

Yesterday my wife and I were shopping at various antique stores, and I bought this nice Gillette Gold Tech (it looks like it anyway!) with no date code.

I'm looking for a forgiving antique razor and after cleaning, I hope it's mild and will help my technique. I hope Derby blades work with it!

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Tech is a mild razor, whether the Derby blades work with it is more dependent upon your skin than the tech.

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

If it has a patent number and a reissue patent number it's not a Tech, sounds like a NEW. And yes, modern blades will work fine in it.

9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362362042.115057.jpg

Thanks guys,

Here is what the razor looks like taken apart :) Can't seem to find a code or patent.

Attached Files:

10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It's a Tech. And just in time for Tech Week! Just shaved with one for the first time today and it is very mild. Derbys will work fine with the razor. You'll have to try them to see if they work with your face.

11. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll give my Tech it's first drive in the morning, looking forward to it.

12. Raktageno

Raktageno Member

I've found this guy on eBay. The description says it has some plating wear, but the picture of the top makes it look like pitting in the metal. Thoughts?

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some bad pitting on the head. It probably shaves okay, but the pitting is permanent.

14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It may just be nickel plating flaking off. Seems fairly common with Techs. It might shave ok as long as there's no sharp spots that touch your face.