Antique Store Score!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Truckman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Hit a few antique stores today. Not much, but I found a Rolls Razor Imperial 2 in a (faux?) alligator leather case ($55), and Gillette K-4 Adjustable in excellent condition ($9) a brass open comb Gem Micromatic ($6) and a Gem Junior ($10). The (prices) are what the stores had them labeled as.

I brought home the brass open comb Gem Micromatic ($6) and the K-4 Adjustable ($9) for $10 total. They're cleaning right now, I'll post pics shortly. EDIT: I did not purchase the Gem Junior or Rolls Razor.

The K-4 Adjustable looks to be in excellent condition, I assume this is what's referred to as a Slim? The doors line up, the numbers click, it opens and closes smoothly - seems to operate better than my Fatboy! No case though.:(

The Micromatic has some brassing on the head, and will be much more difficult to clean it looks like. Maybe some rust in the dark recesses that are difficult to reach. It had a ton of green gunk all over it, I'm going to assume it's just petrified soap scum.

Of course, all three razors still had blades in them, which I politely made the clerk aware of and dispose of before purchasing :rolleyes: I never ceases to amaze me that no one gets sliced open on these things....

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Very nice! Pretty high price for a rolls.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

4. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Great job! I never find anything at my local antique stores/malls.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

yes, I thought so, too...that's why it and the Gem Junior stayed in their respective display cases....updated OP for clarification

6. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

very nice Matt. I have no luck finding stuff like that. Then again, I never go to those shops. the wife does though.

7. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Nice!
    I think I will be looking at some antique stores as well.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nice finds! :happy096

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice finds!

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nice. My clog proof MM is in about that shape.. just not a open comb.

Fuzzy

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Thanks guys.

I've been to several of the antique malls in the area, and all have come up bust. The only times I've found something, it has been in the small, single owner type shop. And of all the antiquing I've done to date, I've only come across 3 that I thought worthy of picking up: these two here, and a Gem 1912 Travel razor in a case. The Rolls Razors are just too expensive for me right now, and the Gem Junior was in really bad shape.

I got the eyes from SWMBO when I came home, too. "What are you going to do with all those razors?" Like the two I have now are more than enough...:rolleyes: :happy102

<sigh>

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

She should see the 20 or so i have around.. and that is a very small collection compared to others here. VERY SMALL

Maybe the SWMBO's around here need to form a support group.

Fuzzy

mrbaho likes this.
  13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

No purchase today, but I did come across a few items if there's any interest.

Blue Tip SS w/ Case. The case looked in good shape except the clear plastic had the very fine lines (spiderwebbing?) through it. You could still see through it though. Due to soap scum I couldn't make out the date code. The tip looked to me to be a darker blue. Operated well, looked in excellent condition, maybe even close to "minty" once cleaned up. The blade case was missing. $8 tagged.

In the same case was a Schick Injector Twin blade shaving system in a cannister. Unopened. Looks to be from the 70's. $6 tagged.

Could probably get both for $10 - $12.

Different area (I believe different vendor) I found an Ever Ready in a mirrored finish case. Polished chrome maybe? The razor was as shiny as the case, but was almost identical to my 1912 Gem Travel. The lining was orange in color and needs some repair. It had a matching metal blade case and a few Ever Ready blades, too. The blade case was open on one end, and seemed to be wedged down into the back of the case. I didn't want to pull too hard, lest I damage it. $12 tagged.

I'd be happy to pick any of these up for anyone if you're interested.

I've got to start bringing my camera with me, I've got a lot more antique stores to go to, and I haven't even made it down to Baltimore yet....