Any advice for less than a beard but more than 1days growth?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DBart., Feb 8, 2017.

1. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I've been in bed (sort of) for almost 5 days . The flu and all. Yea! No pity please. I'm fine and going back to work tomorrow. Anyway, I have sensitive skin and couldn't grow a beard to save my life. It comes in all patchy and sparse. But I have still have 5, tomorrow will be 6 days growth. Any advice so I don't make lunch meat out of my face? Cold shave? Hot shave? Pre shave oil or not? I'm sure I'll be ok. Just curious to hear your tips I guess.
    Thanks
    DB

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Use an open comb, that's what they were designed for! no need for any prep beside what you normally do.

3. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Now that is something I had not thought about! See that's why I turn to you fellas!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

The Gillette Guard is the open comb version of a cart. I hate carts that fill with beard, but the Guard doesn't. Produced for the emerging market, the only place we can buy them is from India, via Ebay.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

Italian Barber and Maggards stock the Guard now as well

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I do buy for gifts.
    I see the price is about double the Ebay price. Maggard's has three very positive reviews.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  7. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Your face has not benefitted from daily exfoliation shaving provides. You are going to have built up skin cells and environmental detritus. A final buffing with an extremely mild blade gap and carefull moisturizing will keep you happy.

DBart. likes this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If you have an electric trimmer, use it first to hack down the length.
    Regardless you'll probably suffer a little because you haven't shaved in awhile. I know I do.

Linuxguile and DBart. like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Straights don't clog.

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  10. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Makes sense!

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Nor do they forgive!

Demidog likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey! You're usin' an axe to shave. You gonna worry 'bout a li'l ol' straight??? :happy102:

13. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I'm not even that tough in my dreams!

14. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

I use the merkur 37c slant bar safety razor with an Astra SP for 2+ days of growth- always an awesome shave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Any Open Comb DE Razor or Muhle R41 ;)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

18. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

RESULTS:
    OK, I know you were all waiting with baited breath. After a warm shower, I used a pre-shave oil, and Ginger's Garden tallow soap. (FLOWER GRENADE- bergamot, jasmine, iris, violet, freesia, citrus, cedarwood, ozone, musk, (vanilla - I had them substitute GARDENIA for the Vanilla), patchouli, rose and tonka bean. WOW this is an amazing rich sent!! More on this later.
    I used a newish Vie-Long horse hair brush to get in and around the hairs and any last minute exfoliation, and after a liberal loading of the brush, did a face lather. This was a warm/ hot water shave.
    I used my Pearl SSH -01 open comb with a new feather blade. Thank you Linuxguile for the advice. I did a gentle 1 pass shave on all the trouble areas, the sides of my mouth, and my chin, and a second pass else where. It worked wonderfully. I LOOOOOOK Mahvalous! And pretty smooth too. Thanks for listening and the advice.
    DB

19. Linuxguile

Brave man sticking a Feather in a razor as aggressive as the Pearl! Good Job!

20. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Thanks. That is why i went VERY gently into that good shave.

Bama Samurai likes this.