Any Bonsai Growers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Some of you know that I raise a small assortment of Bonsai trees; some tropical and some temperate-climate species. I am far from expert, but I am learning and enjoying it.

I would love to know if any of you raise Bonsai. If so, what species? Also, any helpful hints, favorite suppliers, etc?

It would also be fun to learn how you got interested.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Love to see the responses. Bonsai is something I have always been curious about.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Are you interested in starting? I can give you some basic advice;
    1) Before (or at the same time as) you get any plants, get a book on Bonsai care.
    2) Don’t buy your plants from a Bonsai kiosk at a mall. Those plants are rarely healthy.
    3) Get a couple of plants. If you just have one, you will probably love it to death.
    4) Don’t buy a plant you can’t lift.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

While tripping on the sprouts and roots at a jobsite, I collected an 18 inch bit of bamboo stalk. Plenty of roots, and a bunch of tooth pick sized branches with leaves. It's in a quart jar with water right now. I hate to plant it outside because it thrives and becomes a problem for someone else years later.
    Bamboo bonsai.gif

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It’s a nice starter. I agree with your assessment about planting it. Raise it in some type of container.

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Total Newbie to the process of dwarfing a tree. I'll do some Googling and see if folks bonsai bamboo. The theme seems to be forcing horizontal growth more than vertical.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I might be interested some day, I’m not sure. I like to look at them, and do wonder what it’s all about.

8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

My goal is to grow an Olea Europaea tree. I just recieved some seeds for one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Start it indoors. Keep it outside in the summer months.