Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Brigadier, Jan 3, 2008.

1. lab1dobie

lab1dobie Member

Since I'm from Kentucky let me add my choices. (In no particular order)

Makers Mark
    Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek

The small batch reserves are great and would compare to single malt scotch whiskys. Have a great flavor. They are best "neat" and without coke, sprite or whatever else will obliterate the taste. Save those additives for cheaper
    bourbons/whiskys!:D

2. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I love bourbon, all the typical highly recommended ones, but if you haven't tried Eagle Rare yet, do it! IMO, this stuff is an amazing value for the price. It's single barrel, 90 proof, 10 year aged. I'm getting this stuff for $26 a bottle locally. I tried it a couple of weeks ago for the first time on a recommendation from a friend, I'm on my third bottle now :D

[​IMG]

From http://www.greatbourbon.com/eagleraresb.aspx...

The bright honey/topaz color shows sparkling bronze core features impeccable purity; the early aromas include gentle grain, toasted honey-wheat bread, and tobacco leaf with aeration, the aroma quickly transforms into a pedal-to-the-metal Bourbon bouquet as evolved scents of ripe banana and charcoal tweak the olfactory sense in the middle stage whiffs -- fragrances of lanolin, almond butter, melon, and oil accent the toastiness beautifully -- it's a somewhat restrained, or better, understated aroma but I sense lots of power lying just beneath the surface; my, my, my, what have we here -- in the mouth, this oily, toasty beauty seduces the taste buds at palate entry with dry flavors of cereal grain and mild oak resin -- the mid-palate tastes explode on the tongue in unabashedly sweet and oily flavors of black raisins, grape- fruit, charred oak, and candied almonds; the finish is long, corny sweet, moderately fiery, and lasciviously oily; easily one of the most tactile yet assertive and expressive Bourbons I've tasted in the last two years; fasten your seat belts.

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Does Old Crow count?

Just kidding :rofl I gotta stay away from anything with more kick than a Shiner Bock...

4. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Mostly I drink beer because I'm unsophisticated. When I have a bad cold I go straight for the bourbon. Usually Evan Williams or Jim Beam. These are also the drinks of choice on saturdays in the fall otherwise known as gameday. I would like to try some of the higher end bourbons, just never pulled the trigger. I don't know why, but the taste and smell of Jack Daniels gives me a gag reflex everytime. Other bourbons, no matter how cheap, don't have that effect.

And there's nothing better than bourbon peach cobbler.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I just started drinking bourbon about this time last year, although I have a buddy who's been crazy into Makers for years. So far my favorite would have to be Buffalo Trace and I can always see me having a bottle on hand. Woodford Reserve is a treat for me since it is overpriced in my town, but I do enjoy it immensely.

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I'm mostly a scotch drinker but my brother introduced me to small batch bourbon. Currently I have:

Basil Hayden
    Ridgemont Reserve 1759

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Ok Bourbon Drinkers... I love Jim Beam. I keep at least one bottle of every variety on hand at all times... Or so I thought. I was at a huge liquor store over Thanksgiving and found a bottle of Jim Beam Distillers Series. It was a couple dollars more than Black. I obviously bought a couple bottles, but I did a search and saw that it was a limited edition only available until January. Anyone have it yet? Is it just regular black with a special bottle, or is it higher end? Should this be a special occasion Bourbon, or should I just drink it?
    [​IMG]

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Drink it!

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Oh, I will drink it, I am just wondering if I should just have a double old fashioned with a friend once in a while, or if I should bring it tailgating. ;)

10. akady

akady New Member

I am more of a irish whiskey guy (Wild turkey 101 is my kryptonite)

But I have heard amazing things about Stranahans micro distilled whiskey. Every bottle hand signed. Made in my home town using part of the flying dog facility when needed. No affiliation just have to rep the home town boy.

http://www.stranahans.com/

11. akady

akady New Member

12. subourbonite

subourbonite New Member

As evidenced by my username, I have a slight fetish for bourbon. Currently sipping some William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace antique collection. I love this stuff - actually, I haven't really found many bourbons that I dislike, although I do like to have mine neat, which some just aren't suited for.

I browsed quickly, so I apologize if it's already been mentioned, but 12 year old Elijah Craig bourbon is my 'go-to'. It's fantastic, and surprisingly inexpensive.

Other budget favorites are Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond (white label), Wild Turkey, Eagle Rare Single Barrel, and Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Other great non-budget bourbons would be Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, any Antique Collection bottling (e.g., Eagle Rare 17 yr old, George T. Stagg, Sazerac rye, Handy barrel-proof rye, Weller barrel-proof wheated bourbon), Blanton's, Rock Hill Farm, Hancock President's Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 20 yr old (there is a 23 but I've never been able to get a bottle).

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch that I don't have as often, but that's all I've got for now.

13. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Enjoyed it for the first time over the holidays and then received a bottle as a present. A truly excellent bourbon. It's going to be a favorite of mine for years to come.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Has anyone tried Evan Williams Single Barrel? That is absolutely amazing stuff. Decent price too.
    [​IMG]

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i was until it turned my stomach into swiss cheese.

then again, i drank the cheap stuff.

16. Churchill

Churchill New Member

It's Buffalo Trace for me.:D

17. NewShaver1

NewShaver1 New Member

I am absolutely partial to the small batch bourbons from Jim Beam.
    These include:
    Knob Creek
    Basil Hayden
    Baker's
    Booker's

I either mix them with seven up and a lime wedge or on the rocks.
    When i first met my father-in-law i bought him some Grey Goose vodka because that was what my wife told me he liked. So we saddled up to the bar and there is his collection of whiskeys. I felt horrible, because at the time I drank Jack Daniels (though not a bourbon). It wasn't until my next visit that I bought him Knob Creek did we hit it off properly. Since then we have toyed with the idea of going on a distillery visit to either the Jack Daniels distillery or to the Jim Beam. If we go hit the jack daniels distillery, then we might as well hit the Jim beam one too. Funny, but I am not fond of Jim Beam, but the small batch bourbons they make are tasty!

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Hey NEW !

...............not even the JB Black ???
    Its quite decent, I must say

[​IMG]

19. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

DMS has it right as far as I am concerned. Blantons #1 and Woodford Reserve #2. Blantons up neat or with one ice cube. Woodford over crushed ice. I think i will get one right now.

20. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I guess single malts have been sort of a gateway drug for me. :o
    For the longest time I had no taste for whiskey, and now I find it's the only thing I've really wanted to drink.

In addition to scotch, I have been greatly enjoying the likes of Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, and the occasional Bulleit.
    I've been considering Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, and perhaps even Buffalo Trace. However, I'm a little reluctant to get too many bottles in my collection.
    I'm not a heavy drinker so getting too many bottles open means eventually one or more will suffer from too much air, and I also lack sufficient storage space in my current liquor cabinet.

So many great bourbons... how does a guy choose which he actually brings home?