Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Brigadier, Jan 3, 2008.

1. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I'm just entering the world of bourbon. Got a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof for Christmas. It is incredibly delicious and unbelievably smooth. Has anyone tried it?

Also...a question.

What does "chewy" mean in describing a bourbon?

3. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Bulleit.

Try it, You will Like it.

Knob Creek in a pinch.

Happy New Year.

Sparrow likes this.
  4. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I picked up some Buffalo Trace today.
    It doesn't seem a very complex dram here in this first tasting.
    Perhaps it needs to air more, and I need to be less beset by allergies. :ashamed001

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

With the unseasonably cold temperatures, my typical cold beer is starting to lose its luster. I'm thinking perhaps some Jimmy Beam, George Dickel or Maker's Mark this weekend.

6. steppenwolph

steppenwolph Member

I do love me some bourbon! Quite some years ago, I read an article about small batch bourbons that was highly informative. Went out to a bar that had them in stock and gave them a try with a friend I dragged along for company. I was sold, and the bourbon has been my main drink ever since. Right now, I have a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel that is going down quite smoothly. Also, I enjoy Knob Creek a lot. Typically, I enjoy it neat, though I need to learn how to make a Manhattan. When the brother-in-law comes over, I break out the Even Williams (the black label, not the single barrel). It goes good in Coke! But somebody please tell me, what is 'branch water' anyway?

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

8. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I really enjoy Old Grand Dad 86 proof, and Jim Beam. I would like to try Maker's Mark one day. Never Tried Evan Williams, Early Times, or Heaven Hill. Are any of those good? I read that he reason its called Bourbon is because its made in a county named Bourbon in Kentucky. Also like JD although its not a bourbon, would like try try Gentleman Jack twice charcoal filtered whiskey someday.

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I partake of the spirits ocassionally. Bourbon is obviously a Ky product everything else is wannabes. Being a Ky man I partial to spirits born from the finest limestone filtered spring water of the Ky hills. I find most all of them to be fine spirits. Wild turkey being my least favorite. Rare breed is an exception. I really enjoy blantons, woodford reserve and basil haydens. Booker noe is also excellent.

10. CSL

CSL Member

I'm currently drinking Makers 46 which is Maker's Mark's new high end bourbon. It's good, but my all time favs (not in any particular order) are -

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (Their top of the line)
    Noah's Mill
    Old Fitzgerald Very Special
    Black Maple Hill
    Old Rip Van Winkle

Actually I've found all the small batch bourbon's I've bought, to be of a good standard - unlike single malt scotches, which can be a real crap shoot, in fact, a real expensive crap shoot.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Makers Mark
    Old Forester
    Four Roses
    Pappy Van Winkle
    Bookers

I was at a tasting that Booker Noe hosted way back in the day and he said to bring out the taste in the hotter boubons you should cut them with a splash of branch water.. So, I'll freeze up a bottle or two of Evian into small cubes.

12. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

I'm with you 100% on this one. Eagle Rare really shines.

Bill

13. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

Two terms every Bourbon drinker should know; neat means no ice and perfect is a term for an equal parts mix of sweet and dry vermouth. Anything using vermouth can be ordered perfect.

14. diverken

diverken New Member

When I'm not enjoying scotch on the rocks, it is Makers Mark and Gingerale.

15. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Knob Creek
    Makers Mark
    Woodford Reserve

There are probably dozens more, I just have not had the pleasure of tasting them!

16. LowellB

LowellB Member

I love whiskeys and I really love a good bourbon. Many fine bourbons have been listed here. I agree with several posters that Buffalo Trace is a good value. But my all time favorite is-

A.H. Hirsch Reserve, sadly, someday it will be no more. :sad023

Attached Files:

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Actually, these days I only imbibe on occassion...but +2 on the Jack Black, Remy Martin VSOP, Glenfiddich Single Malt...But Jim Beam is always like coming home, and they have it in every bar in the world...Smooth as an Injector Shave ..:) I remember on cruise ships they had coolers by the pool filled with ice and cans of Jim Beam and Coke Pre-mixes...remember those?
    Man, I just saw you cats are getting single barrel bourbon for $26...In the Middle East a 5th of Jim Beam is like $50 to $75...The way Mike discribed that Eagle Rare, has my mouth watering...:)

18. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's a bourbon, but I like my Southern Comfort. MMMMMmmmmm yummy.

19. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Woodford Reserve is my favorite, but I also like Knob Creek so I suppose I should try Makers Mark. Scotch is my first choice-Lagavulin.

20. Evan Williams is my staple though haven't sampled a whole lot of others...I actually use it in my chile recipe...:drool