Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Brigadier, Jan 3, 2008.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Lagavulin is good and a favorite of mine as is Makers Mark dry mahattens but two for the evening is my limit.....sometimes one:happy088

2. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

The price of Lagavulin has come down by about $20!? Any idea why?
    I remember when it was $30/bottle-it was a relatively unknown treasure. Then it was impossible to find for a year, came back at $95/bottle and now is $75.

3. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

Originally, by law, it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Kentucky. I don't remember when it was changed to the State of Kentucky.

In my house I always have a bottle of Knob Creek and a bottle of Booker's. I drink the Knob Creek with a little ice, maybe a splash of branch water. The Booker's is always either straight or on the rocks.

4. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Just saw this thread! My bourbon club starts next wednesday night. It's just two guys and a couch and a couple bottles at this point, but we have hopes of expanding. Our wives are in a Book Club, so we are going to call ours a Book(ers) Club.

5. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Is Bourbon and Sipping Whiskey the same thing? If that is the case then
    Any of the Wild Turkeys but love the 101 and the rare when I can get it
    Any of the Jack Daniels
    Knob Creek
    And Jim Beam
    Don’t seem to get any of the others mentioned where I am in the UK :( I didn’t realise that there was so many
    And like a good single malt the only thing you put in to a glass of Sipping Whiskey is another shot of Sipping Whiskey :eatdrink013

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

genius!

7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jim Beam has a new premium brand bourbon and did a French company buy Jack Daniels or Beam several years ago? It is one of the fastest and most popular drinks in France now.

8. bamabubba

bamabubba Member

If I'm going the Bourbon route, i don't include Jack n George, so as not to offend the Kentuckians who fhid it too great a thought to bear so...

Give me woodford reserve, knob creek, bookers, beam black, or WT101 Reserve and I'm happy

9. CSL

CSL Member

I recently tried Black Maple Hill again & was blown away by how good it tastes.

Also had some Bulleit Rye which was very good.

10. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Makers Mark is my favorite.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

ah, JD.. 2 out of the 5 times I've been inebriated, it's was JD. :)

12. Rolex24

Rolex24 New Member

Picked up the Bourbon bug when I moved to KY. My favorites:
    Bookers, Bakers, Turkey Rare Breed, Evan Williams SB Vintage, Knob Creek 9YO SB, Rock Hill Farms and Bulleit. Woodford and 1792 are also good and get the nod along with the Bulleit in my Manhattan's.

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm rather fond of a good single malt....well actually all single malts are good...:) And I would have to agree with Danny, Lagavulin is more than excellent...
    But I also have a taste for Bourbon...I also like Jack Daniels, and George D' aswell...but if it has to be strickly Bourbon I'd say Maker's Mark first, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek...But Jim Beam can be gotten anywhere in the world and luckily I find it very tasty aswell....;)

14. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Pappy Van Winkle and Basil Hayden

Served cold and wet is my preference

15. Galactus

Galactus Member

Proud JD'er here!

16. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

a french company Allied Domecq purchased Hiram Walker and Makers Mark. My drink is Jameson Irish Whiskey.

17. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Rebel Yell, best cheap bourbon. Woodford reserve, the best not so cheap bourbon.

18. Galactus

Galactus Member

Anybody recommend any good cheap bourbon? Seeing as JD is a bit to expensive to drink very often.

19. maskaggs

maskaggs New Member

I lived just north of Louisville, Kentucky until recently, and the market for great inexpensive bourbon is incredible there. I, too, share a tight budget and try to do my homework to find good bourbon at prices I can afford. One does not need to spend a fortune to get decent, if not great, bourbon whiskey. If you ever come across it I highly recommend Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year (not the 10 Star). It'll run you around $20 for the 1.5 L but it drinks like a $40-$50 bourbon. On a similar note, the Very Old Barton line is very good (I've had the 86 proof, about $8 for a bottle), along with the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond bourbons ($8-10). Finally, for a budget bourbon, I've hard Old Charter 101 is quite nice. The prices quoted above are for the Kentucky market, meaning it's cheap since most of the bourbon is produced so nearby, but they shouldn't increase much outside of the state. I don't know for sure since our selection up here where I am now is utter crap.

20. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

George Dickel white label can usually be found for around $20.00 for a fifth.

Since I first responded to this thread (in 2008), I've become more a bourbon/Manhattan drinker. I still like Jim Beam, but I LOVE George Dickel and Makers Mark (though MM is a bit pricey for me).