Any info on this Schick TTO

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I recently scored this Schick TTO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been on a quest to find a name for the razor. In my search I found patent information on it, but they just call it a Schick Double Edge Razor. It was patented in 1971.

Here are the patent description and drawings

Does anyone have more info on this razor? Cutting Edge told me that they were available in a few colors. Any information (or speculation) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

That looks a lot like a "Schick Double Edge Razor"

:happy102

Sorry! Couldn't help myself!

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

I wish I could help you. Looks pretty cool, though!

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

First time I've ever seen one. Maybe they were some sort of cheap DE disposable razor, hence why I've never seen one.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

According to the patent, definately not a disposable. It was designed to be semi inexpensive to produce, but sturdy. It does not feel cheap at all.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Deffinetly odd that I've never seen one before than. I mean never, ever. Nice find. Hows she shave?

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The shave is very nice. I compare it to the Krona, except that I like the balance of this one more. It is a little lighter, but it is head heavy, so it feels like a heavier razor. Depending on your grip, it could be awkward, but otherwise it is really nice. I have seen a several, but they don't come around too often. They were available in several colors from what I understand.

On a side note, I found patents for two different adjustable kronas.

8. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I think i've seen a couple of those here in the past.
    He doesn't seem to have any at the moment, but it's worth checking once in a while - or ask him if/what he knows about them.

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I was looking at a Schick dating site. It seems to only deal with injectors and I think is no longer updated.

Anyway, the head looks like a Krona. Could it be the final year for the Krona? The new and improved space age version.

You said it was 1971. I think that in reading some other websites Gillette and Schick started to go more towards the disposables after 1971. So maybe this is the Krona version 2.0 a last ditch effort to win over DE users before Gillette could make the disposables.

Either way. Neat find.

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

So...

I called Schick and spoke to April. Everyone was scratching there heads. No one has any idea.

I have seen some 1970's ads for Krona injectors and DEs. Also Schick was bought by Warner-Lambert in 1970 and then acquired by Pfeizer. Warner-Lambert does not have a site that I can find.

I still hold to my original post. A Krona version 2.0 or a test model that never made it to production. Saying that, I would want to lean to test model. The injectors were doing well and if they were shifting to disposables and cartridges, then why put out a new DE?

Anyway. That's all I have.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciated!

So, if there is no official name, and no nickname, I suppose we have to come up with a name for it. ;)

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

No, the Schick company just called the later razors Krona until the cartridges. TTO and Injector.

The M type was the adjustable Injector and the N was a blister pack injector.

According to the dating sites, there is an 8 year gap between the M and the N. The M was last made in 72 and the N started in 80. The later Ms and all Ns were both done by Warner.

I cannot find any info on Schick TTOs.

Call it the Schick Badger Wacker.

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

Believe it's a prototype. I'm not sure if it ever went to market. It's not listed in the Schick section of Waits' Compendium. There were some imitators, Cik Bey (Turkish) or something like that. The Compendium shows Russian imitators: Iskra ("Spark"), Sarapul-1 (town west of the Urals) and Utro ("Morning"). There was one other unidentified brand. I think Wizamet (Russia) made one, so maybe that's it. Check out this entry in the SMF Collector's Corner, 2nd from last on pg 1. Follow the link for further discussion. There's also a picture of a white one on pg 2. Nice find, Rodd!

14. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

According to the unopened blisters I have with this razor they were called Schick Platinum.. I think its a pretty decent razor, def shaves a lot like a Krona..

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

You have more than one in an unopened blister? Want to sell one? :signs083

16. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Absolutely, no worries. I also have unopened/unused Injectors (Older, a bit newer, Injector IIs and one Injector Adjustable)

I prefer trade cause its more fun :D
    Shoot me a PM and we work out details

RyX likes this.
  17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Dibs on yours if you trade Rodd!

I wonder if this was Schick's competition for the Knack/Slim Twist? They seem to function similarly.

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Part one of a two part update, part two will hopefully come soon.

Dragonboy, you are awesome. Thank you!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ninjack likes this.
  19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

oh,now that's cool....how much? :D

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

haha not for sale. :D This will be going in a shadow box on my wall. :D