Any Toggle Lovers Out There?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Redfisher, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm a big fan of these and wondered if anyone else is. Amazing piece of work from Gillette. This is one I had replated in 24 ct. If you have a Toggle post a picture here and a comment or 10 about it. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I would love to have a toggle. I love the way they look. But that is one I have never found in the wild

Herm2502 and Weeper Warrior like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Beautiful piece of shaving Iron Sir...:chores016:
    Billy

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

IF I were a DE razor guy, a toggle would be on my short-list. :happy088:

Munichjoe likes this.
  5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg This was my White Whale, and I was lucky to get it from an estate sale. I don't think this Gillette toggle (D1) had ever been used, until I shaved with it. It's flawless and the engineering is wonderful. I only take it out for special occasions, and it's always a great ride. Glad you like them:eatdrink047:

Mike Brown, Hodge, Recklesstr and 6 others like this.
  6. ObiDon

Very nice!:eatdrink047:

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don't own one... yet. :cool:

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm not a TTO fan, although I do enjoy shaving with a 47-50 Aristocrat. That said I love the look of the Toggle and if the opportunity ever presents itself I will get one. Your Toggle is BEAUTIFUL @Redfisher!! :happy088:

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Redfisher

That is a very fine set you have there! Well done!;)

ObiDon and Billyfergie like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm waiting for someone to post: "found an NOS Gillette Toggle at a garage sale for $5. I offered $4!" :eek::happy093:

Hodge likes this.
  11. Redfisher

I do remember reading a post on another forum a while back from a guy who found one for $7 in a lot of junk razors on the Bay. Made me ill. I probably saw it and missed it:angry017:

12. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

Then I would sell it and buy myself a house :D

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's always looked odd to me, like it wouldn't fit right in the hand, but I'm sure it shaves very well.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So, how rare are Toggles? I'm guessing that not many were made. Why did Gillette make them when they had the slim?

15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Me too. I also don't know why there's a toggle on it. So, if someone wants to send me one so I can find out if it really does fit in the hand okay and what the toggle does, I'd appreciate it.

Herm2502 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We need a Try-A-Toggle loaner program! Maybe a Traveling Toggle Box!

No, not really. That's a very bad idea.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I am a gillette adjustable guy, so the toggle is my ultimate find.

Herm2502 and ObiDon like this.
  18. Redfisher

The Toggle and some early (rare) Fatboys were the beginning of Gillette's adjustable razor series. The Slim came much later. They only made the toggle 2 years 1958 (D model) and 1960 (F model) If you find a D model Fatboy that's a rare bird.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm a Toggle lover! But I don't own one. Yet. ;)

20. ObiDon

There are actually a number of different versions of the Gillette toggle. @GlennConti is really the resident expert, paging Dr. Glenn! Check out his Shave Den, for some very nice Gillette Adjustables also. Here is some of the info that I have. Predating the D1 toggle there numbered toggles and, I believe somewhere there is a list with the names of the owners for a lot of them. There was also the "Chrome" toggles that were actually nickel plated, along with toggles that only have a 1-5 adjustment. The Razor Emporium has a lot of history with pictures of some of these rarely seen beauties. Here is the link ( get your drool cup ready)
    http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-toggle-adjustable
    One more link.
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/1956 Gold Toggle 5 Settings.jpg
    And a link to a thread with Glenn adding to his collection
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ette-adjustable-collection.44029/#post-808081

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Redfisher and Jim99 like this.