Anybody Know How to Clean an Estate Pipe?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Weeper Warrior, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I just bought an Estate Pipe and realized I have no idea how to sanitize it for use. Anybody know how?

2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Youtube it. Tons of videos of how to do it.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  3. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I start with reaming out as much carbon as I can with a pipe reamer before moving to an alcohol treatment. Most people like to use grain alcohol (very high proof). I generally use vodka at 80 proof starting with dipping a pipe cleaner and using it down the stem and in the bowl. You will go through severally pipe cleaners with this method. Be careful that if you get any on the outside of the bowl to wipe it off immediately so it doesn't take off any of the finish.
    If the inside of the bowl still needs treatment you can fill it with coarse cooking salt. Then slowly poor the alcohol into the bowl until it is full. Again, being careful to wipe the outside of the bowl of any excess. Allow this to sit overnight and it will draw out anything left in the bowl. Make sure to get all the salt out by using plenty of alcohol soaked pipe cleaners the next day.
    I hope this helps!

gorgo2, mikewood and JRod22 like this.
  4. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

If it is not too bad... Pipe cleaners, regular and thick ones. Use 151 proof cheap rum - seriously! Definitely sanitizes and leaves pipe slightly sweet. Clean with pipe cleaners until they have no residue then clean again with pipe cleaner with rum on it. Let dry at least 24 hours. As for the bowl, if it is lightly caked, clean easily and you can leave most of it. If you want, you can ream lightly. Do not score or gouge. You will need to form a cake inside the bowl, so don't clean it out every time you smoke the pipe. Good luck!

5. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I use a few pipe cleaners after each pipe. The risidual can get rancid quite quickly if not removed consistently.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

There is tons of info on you tube I've cleaned a few up I bought of eBay and now smoke if you have a specific question just ask

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Good advice from jw and kc.
    The alcohol and salt will clean it up.
    Just take your time. Eastate pipes can be great investments.

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

When using the salt and alcohol, I might recommend stopping up the shank with something, to keep the alcohol from draining through the shank and possibly getting on the outside of your pipe.