Anybody near Boulder?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by FlightMedic, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

So my wife has accepted her dream job and we will be moving to Boulder, CO immediately. If anyone has a line on affordable apartments or advice on how to find them I would appreciate it. I don't want to buy anything until I get my house in Oklahoma sold or at least rented out long term.

Advice about decent barbers and anything else related to living in. Boulder is also welcome.

-Will

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Will-

I am in Brighton, a short drive. There are no real affordable real estate options. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. The legalization of cannabis caused a major influx of youngsters, and rent is already high in Boulder because it's a college town. Studio Apartments can easily be over a grand. I would suggest contacting an apartment broker here, or living in the countryside north and west of Boulder, it will be marginally more affordable.

3. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Bama has already been the bearer of bad news, but also provided an viable alternative. I suggest using an app like Zillow where you can place a zip code and do a property search and then explore different properties in or near your selected search area.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Good news..Herself got her dream job.
    Bad news..it's in the People's Republic of Boulder.
    Congratulations anyway. Hope your housing situation works out.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was born in Denver and lived there for 27 years. I left in 1998 because I had been priced out of my home.

When I left, the median home price in the city and county of Denver, was something like 226K. That 226K bought you a two bedroom, one bathroom home of around 900sf with a one car detached garage.

My mind may be a little foggy on the numbers, but I cannot imagine the prices are too far off.

Even back in the late 90's, Boulder was ridiculously expensive. Broomfield and Longmont were not too far behind.

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Your best best would probably be outside of Boulder somewhere along Hwy 36. Westminster, Broomfield, Superior, or Louisville. The drive from Westminster to Boulder is an easy 20-30 minutes. My wife and I used to live in Westminster when she was going to school at CU. Also it is an easy bus ride from the Westminster Park N Ride to Boulder which could be a cost saving over commuting.

George X and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

A moderate home for a typical family, 1600-2000 sq ft, in any decent neighborhood is well north of 300,000 on the low end. In Denver proper, a four room square house, 1000sqft, can easily be a half million or more.
    "Sixteen Square miles, surrounded by reality."

PickledNorthern and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Too funny. And the real estate reference keeps it right on topic.

mrchick, Bama Samurai and Linuxguile like this.
  10. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I knew the idea of affordable is relative in Boulder. The good news is I may have found a place that will work in Gunbarrel for less than inexpected to pay. Nothing is cheap but once I get the house in Oklahoma sold I will be better off on finding a more permanent solution.

Bama Samurai, mrchick and RetLEO-07 like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Perfect. If you need a local contact for questions or help, hit me up.