Anybody use shaving oil?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Tom Husband, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha DEAL=P

2. Omelmad

It was pretty cheap =) i would love to try that recipe =D

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Amen sistah! Wet Shaving is great.

Omaney likes this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Please PM me and I'll get to it tomorrow.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome, I use it everytime I shave, it does help me for a slicker shave

6. Mindy Marion

Mindy Marion New Member

My husband shaves his head with shaving oil only. He has used many products but found that the right oil and razor in the shower is his perfect combination. A little goes a long way and it moisturizers too :)

7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've tried a few but haven't found any benefit from them. It might be the hard water here I don't know. I find that it causes more friction and just gums up the works.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just use Corn Huskers Lotion as a preshave. I find it works well, isn't oily feeling on my face and it's very inexpensive to buy..:)

9. R-C

R-C Member

Hi Tom, I'm new here too. I've been wet shaving for a little while now, and I've tried pre shave and shaving oils, which I usually applied under the lather. In Canada there is one called Cromwell and Caruthers, and I've tried Truefit and Hill Ultimate comfort. As a pre-treatment, I do like the Proraso cream, which has the benefit of turning your soap into a mentholated version. For me, I find that I can take it or leave the oils. I don't really notice much benefit, although they can be very nice, as in, adding another layer of ...luxury? to your shave. I find that my lather usually does a pretty good job by itself. But then, it seems like I use something different every day, and it usually turns out really good! Certainly, its better, and more enjoyable, than a cartridge razor. I'd encourage you to take the plunge and find the razor that calls to you, and do your research on technique, and give it a try. They're safety razors, not danger razors hehe. Good luck, and keep us posted!

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I ran out of my pre shave oil a number of weeks ago, and made the switch over to pre-shave cream.
    I'm now migrating seriously toward the exclusive pre-shave cream (vs oil) camp as I've used the ps cream now consecutively for the past month and have been quite pleased with the results.
    Good skin conditioning, better coverage and lubricity, plus easier clean-up (no oily drips on face, counter or fingers). PS Oil is easier to make, though.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Omelmad

Still waiting for that recipe ;)

12. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

Sounds like oil is worth trying at least a few times. I'm still perfecting my technique and use hot water as my preshave. So far it works well but oil is something on my varible list! If your new like me it's better to just start with the basics. Make your lather and then shave. You can work on the preshave and aftershave stuff later. Shave on man!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Still on my 'things still to do' list! ;)

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Omelmad

Great =) Looking forward to it =P

15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

As a follow on question, for those of you that do use a pre-shave oil, do you reapply between passes or just before the first pass? I have REALLY coarse hair, so I've been playing it safe and reapplying for each pass.

16. Omelmad

I only Apply before the first pass, but recently I have started to apply before the second pass on my chin, it's a problem area for me

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've seen where those guys with heavy, 'blue-face' beard DO reapply pre-shave oil between passes. Seems a bit excessive to me, but whatever works for those fellows.
    I have found it best to apply a PSO and give it a few minutes 'soaking time' before applying lather. This gives the oil a better opportunity for absorption, plus to soften and coat whiskers properly.
    I only apply it initially, before any lather. I have a light-growth beard, so consider the source.

18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I typically apply the PSO right after I get out of the shower and let it absorb while I make my Keurig cup of coffee and build my lather, so it sits for a few minutes prior to shaving. I've definitely noticed that I have to be careful with the amount that I use. There's a fine line between not enough and clogging up my blade. So far I've used Shave Secret and Taconic. I think the Taconic performs better, but doesn't wash away as completely as the Shave Secret when I'm done. Not quite sure whether or not I prefer the touch of menthol in the Shave Secret or not.

I guess I'll have to experiment a little more with only applying it for the first pass. It may have to wait as I've recently acquired a couple of new razors to try, so I don't want to change multiple variables at once.

19. Omelmad

I was wondering, have you ever mentholated your preshave cream? Maybe taken a small amount out of the batch and added some menthol crystals to it?

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In the plans. I have the crystals. Just waiting on the arrival of one more ingredient before I set up the lab. ;)
    [​IMG]

21. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I read that and automatically thought about the Israeli Razor Blades