Anyone ever shaved with Lava soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Dec 28, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I picked up a bar of Lava hand soap today at Walmart. It's been years and years since I've used it. I distinctly remember my dad always having a bar on hand because it was so good with tough dirt and grime. We would joke about Lava being able to clean even the dirtiest of hands.

Anyway, it makes pretty thick lather, much different than a normal bar soap, and I've wondered if anyone has tried it for shaving?

upload_2016-12-28_14-46-3.jpeg

2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I'd imagine the pumice might be a little rough on the blade and/or face. But maybe not. I guess there is only one way to find out.

Not IT :scared007:

3. PLAla

I'm not it either! Just was curious. @gorgo2 - Do I remember that you have used Lava before?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

File under, " Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I had a couple tubs of it for camping. It works pretty well for camp dishes, but I wouldn't recommend shaving with it. It wasn't slick at all, from what I remember.

Sent using Tapatalk

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Perry: Since you brought it up, it's only fitting that you take one for the team :taunt002:

I worked in a chemical plant years ago that made pigment for the ink industry. The guys all took showers with lava soap. They would wash down as far as possible; then wash up as far as possible, then wash possible.:D

7. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Anyone that loves using bar soap for lather should try the king of face lathering, Arko. Many of us love the Arko and the great price.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I guess you could hone your razor while shaving with it......

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Not to mention exfoliating your face.

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty much a win all around!

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I seem to recall @Carbide Mike using Lava or a similar product. Might have been Fast Orange. Lanolin infused for good post shave smoothness.

Spyder, Carbide Mike and PLAla like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It was Goop (click on view attachment in his post below)

Spyder, gorgo2, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I love it. I might use some now :git:

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I did...want to say it lathered as any soap might and pumice wasn't an issue.

15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I really respect Gorgo2 for trying it, and telling us about it. It doesn't matter what you use, it's your shave as Swarden43 would say. If it worked out great, or didn't work at all, You learned something. Thanks Plala for a interesting thread..

RyX, Demidog and PLAla like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think you should save it for you popsicle stick shavette shave later this year.

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I shaved with Lava soap once, but it burned my face.

Seriously, though, no I have not shaved with Lava. My guess is that the grit in the soap would make for an awful shave, and also dull the razor blade pretty darned quick.

Carbide Mike and PLAla like this.
  18. PLAla

After using Lava for a hand soap the past few days I have concluded that it would be a TERRIBLE shave soap. It dries my hands out like crazy so it would be a disaster for shaving probably.

19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Lava kinda don't make sense. Let's switch it up to Lifeboy

Paul Turner, RyX and PLAla like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b