Anyone have a Vie-long 13061s

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Jan 3, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how you find it? It certainly looks nice.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't know if the Vie-Long 13061 is special, but I find all my brushes by looking in the last place I put them. :happy102::happy097::happy097::happy102:

I'm going to go color now.:D

Carbide Mike, Spyder and dangermouse like this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Nope. I do have a Vie Long 14030 which is an excellent brush and I use it often. Horse hair is a bit different and needs a break in period similar to boar.

Carbide Mike and dangermouse like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I think mine is a 13061. I really like it.

5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I have the 04312 and it's one of my favorites.

6. dangermouse

Apparently the 's' is a fan shaped brush rather than bulb and I ordered it. It's coming from sunny Spain. A viva España!

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have the same brush. It's my favorite brush to use with creams.

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - the Vie Long Horse Hair brush really works well with creams and soft "croaps". They are stiff enough to really work up a good lather but more soft on the face than a boar brush.

Carbide Mike, Spyder and dangermouse like this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Just be aware, some horse hair brushes have a very distinctive odor. You may have to do an extensive de-funking routine.

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree. I soaked mine in a shampoo with conditioner for about 30 minutes. Then I rinsed and let dry for 24 hours and repeated the process. Took care of any odor. I do the same for my boar brushes as well. I find that boar and horse hair perform better than any badger brushes, once they are broken in.

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I do this as well, and I try to use highly scented soaps for the first few lathers. TOBS peppermint, Stirling Glacial Wintergreen, and TSD Iced Sub Zero work well.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It's cuz the hair comes from the area right under the tail :)

13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Kool ! I definitely gotta get one now. ! :)

Spyder likes this.
  14. Troy M

I used mine and within a week or so, the "stable" smell was gone. I had a longer time to get rid of the stink in a badger brush.

Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.
  15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

We have Horsehair brushes at the local Amish store. $4 bucks .Well made, beautiful colors, and very soft. And the horse smell. I guess I'm used to it living on a farm, but I will take the horse smell over the "VEG" any day. The "Vegetol" makes me cross eyed . lol :)

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I don't have the Vie Long 13061, but do have a Vie Long Epsilon GC13900/3. Wow, what a fantastic brush! Plenty of backbone, very soft tips, and just a little over $40 shipped from Gifts & Care in Spain. Here is the link, in case anybody is interested:

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/155-epsilon-shaving-brushes

17. dangermouse

Mine arrived, from Gifts and Care! I have to say, on my first shave, when I splay the brush, it is very prickly indeed; I am hoping this will ease as I break the brush in because it was uncomfortable and left a few prickle marks on my face. It was a bit smelly, but nothing too drastic.

18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

It will break in - similar to boar brushes. Takes a couple dozen shaves. If you want to get rid of the odor a bit quicker - try soaking the brush in shampoo for about 30 minutes, rinse and let it dry for a day and then do it again. Really helped with my Vie Long 14030.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. dangermouse

Thanks. The smell is no problem, it's almost gone. It's just prickly!

Carbide Mike and Col C like this.
  20. Troy M

Seems like I recall my 13061M taking about 2 weeks of daily shaves before it quite being prickly- maybe a little less.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk