Anyone heard of Mercurry razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Dec 20, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I just saw this for the first time. Has anyone seen this before? Better yet, has anyone used one? The one I saw on the bay ships from India for $10.50. Looks interesting.
    (Apparently, I have a "thing" for cheap-o razors that yet deliver good shaves. <sigh>)
    (ALSO... I copied the spelling, so "Mercurry" and not "Mercury." Go figure.)
    mercurry razor.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Appears to be more than one... Also, looks like spelling is correct.
    mercurry razor 2.jpg

Jostalli and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Interesting. Never seen these before either. I like the first one.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like the looks of the Mer Curry(its from India you said) OC and especially the price! Looking forward to hearing how it shaves. :)

Herm2502 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That 2nd one looks like a badly cobbled Frankenrazor, sorry. Maybe it shaves great, but it's too ugly even for me, and I have a high tolerance for ugly (ask my mirror).

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The thing is that for $10.50 you can in many cases get a fantastic, well proven vintage razor that most likely will be of better build quality. Then again, there are a lot of people that like unused/new items so I'm sure there's a market for this

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Looks like extruded and machined aluminum, possibly anodized but probably not at that price. I did a search for the name but came up empty, is there a source on the Web?

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think it looks like the next Utopia. :)

9. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Mercurry... Mercurry from India. Mercurry. India. Hahaha!! That is either utter genius, or the most badly thought out name ever! That thing is unholy ugly, and I don't know what is up with the half hearted commitment to the open comb... but I will buy one just because the name is incredible. The Indian Merkur, the Mercurry! I love it.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I had never heard of them before! Good luck if you try one.

11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

After a closer look at the photos on eBay the razors look more like very poorly machined something or other, if it's SS it's a really poor quality of SS. Nothing I'd spend even $10 on much less want to shave with.

12. maltedmilk

Article Team
    So here is what I asked the ebay seller:
    Are all parts of this razor stainless steel? Both handle, cap, and base plate?
    And here is the reply:
    Thank you for your mail, we would like to inform you that it was made by stainless steel. Please give us your positive response so e can do the needful.
    So that really clears it up then!
    <sigh>
    I gonna have to order one of these, aren't I? Maybe in Feb... :sad027:

Mr. Shaverman and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Interesting spelling. I wood like sum mer curry in my nuudles please.

Mercurry.JPG

maltedmilk likes this.
  14. maltedmilk

Article Team
    It was a very long time coming, but my Mercurry arrived a couple of weeks ago. I am sad to report that it is the worst razor I have ever used. I suffered through the first pass and swapped the Astra SP over to my EJ to finish shaving. It was that bad.

I was prepared for a low quality razor, but I had hoped for a decent shave. The quality was pretty low, but I think the head design is what killed the shave.

Out of the box, I saw a couple of blemishes on the handle. No biggie. However, taking the head apart showed that the threaded hole is not centered in the handle. The handle sort of wobbles around the post as you remove the head assembly! OK, not impressed, but not a deal killer, either.

I'm not one of those who gets upset at having to fiddle a blade into place. I'm a fan of the Yuma, remember? Blade fiddling is par for the Yuma course. However, setting the blade in this particular Mercurry was like pushing like poles of two magnets together! I eventually aligned the blade evenly and snugged the cap down. It was no small feat!

The first thing I noticed was the blade exposure. I've seen more, but the cap hardly flexed the blade at all, so the resulting gap was huge. Once in play, this geometry let the blade chatter like a set of those wind-up clackety teeth.

In addition to the chattering blade, the head is cut into steps like a ziggurat, rather than a smooth curve like a proper razor cap. You can't ease the razor through the cap's curve to slowly engage the blade. It just sort of "chunks" into place, the tops of the ziggurat steps being the only points of contact. There's no way to use the handle to adjust the cut. It is set... poorly! In addition, you can feel each of those little stair steps as they plow along your skin.

I suppose there are other model Mercurry razors that have smooth caps. I saw pictures of some! Maybe one of those delivers a decent shave. However, I advise everyone to avoid the Mercurry Ziggurat. Save your $10 to throw at your next e-bay purchase. You can gamble on a real ugly clunker, hoping that it cleans up. If it doesn't, it will still shave better than the Mercurry Ziggurat.

Here are some pics.
    mercurry gap 4.jpg mercurry gap 2.jpg mercurry gap 3.jpg mercurry gap.jpg mercurry close.jpg mercurry top.jpg mercurry disassembled.jpg

Chuck F and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Crude, yet unrefined.

Interesting handle tread. Looks like a burr bit.

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Man! I didn't even need to read the review. The pics tell the story here. Looks like it was made in a hut in Pakistan.

maltedmilk likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bummer that it didn't shave better.
    The handle looks pretty good though - does it fit securely with other heads?

18. maltedmilk

Article Team
    The handle may be the only redeeming feature. I tried it with a Gillette Old and it fit pretty well. Still had that eccentric wobble, though. The handle is a little lighter than it appears; it is hollow. I'm wondering about putting with my R41 head! The quality difference may be like bringing matter and anti-matter into contact. :scared011:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  19. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

May be using a local intermediate level school shop class for a factory.

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Maybe they're spelling it like they would say it when they roll the "r."