Anyone knows anything about Trig Silver Edge Stainless?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Fu, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I am looking to see if i can find a cheap, medium sharpness (more than Derby, something like Shark SS or Personna Red or in between), but smooth, to alternate in rotation with my more "sharp" blades. I intend to do "high stress blade" shaves, then change to "low stress blades", to give the face a rest, even if it means not hunting down the BBS all the time. Now, i have the Shark SS that fills the bill, because it cuts enough, but it's also very forgiving (i think i will have to try hard to nick myself with that). Ideally, i 'd want another blade like that, just for variety.

The local shops here, are basically 2 (same in Amazon). One, i noticed had 2 Trigs Silver Edges, with different colours:

1) Trig Silver Edge Stainless Green (200 blades for 10 EUR, yet to arrive):

[​IMG]

2) Trig Silver Edge Stainless Blue (200 blades for 15 EUR, available):
    (Trust me, in zoomed in pic, they also write "stainless").
    [​IMG]

1) Has anyone experience with either of the 2? Possibly someone who dislikes Derby? (Because if someone is Derby lover and loves these too, they 're probably not for me).
    2) Any idea what's the difference between Green and Blue to explain the 5 EUR difference?

I don't even care if they last only 2 shaves, as long as it has more cutting power than Derby and it's reasonably smooth to avoid cuts. I For 15 EUR, i can get 200 AstrasSP here, but if the blade is a docile blade that i can shave without worry about nicks, i don't have a problem with that. It's also why i bought 300 Sharks that cost more than 300 Astras...

I have found a few opinions in a local forum, quite positive reviewshttp://ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2249 , where basically, one says it's sharp as a Lord and smooth, another agrees and says they are amongst his favourites, another says they are bad with non precise and homogeneous cutting (!), another finds them "dull", another gets irritation and finally a mega-review which includes DE89 who gives it 7.5/10 score, as "gentle, efficient and cheap".

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have a tuck of these and get good shaves. I definitely liked them better than Derby, which lasted on shave, and not a great one at that. I would place them more on par with Astra SPs, if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shave Fu likes this.
  3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Thanks. Do you remember if you had the green or blue box?

4. lightcs1776

Definitely the green box.
    [​IMG]

Shave Fu likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

never have used these blades ,but one would think they have different coatings .ie; astra sp and astra ss .

Shave Fu likes this.
  6. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Thanks you very much for the time to find them. If this shop ever brings them, even better, since they are the cheaper ones. Although i wouldn't want something as sharp as Astra. I want something milder. Anyway, i have put an auto-email notification in the shop's site for when these arrive, i will see what i will do if they ever do (here shops may say "on arrival", but you can die of old age waiting and i have no experience on how reliable the shop is. It's been on arrival at least since Friday that i first saw them).

But what coating would that be. They are supposed to all be "silver edge", by googling some people say that they have actually silver on their tip, because it's antimicrobical? That silver has bacteriostatic properties is true, but that they would put it as coating on cheap blades, i find hard to believe. Platinum is none of the two, so...

Anyway... Who knows, i might find a non too sharp, forgiving blade in the tucks i have coming in the next days from other brands.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Only your face can tell if they're good.

8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

That's true... Tomorrow, i will shave with SuperMax SuperStainless (blue box). And i have Treet Platinum and Croma Diamant coming in with the next shipment (as well as Dorco Prime STP301, but i know from the get go that this is sharp blade, so it doesn't fit the bill). If one of these more "obscure" blades, fits the bill for "sharper than Derby, but not too sharp, yet very forgiving", i will prolly order 100 more. If not, i may just bite the buller and order Personna Reds, assuming that after i shave again, i will get over the feeling that they were strangely rigid. Or maybe i will just order more Shark SS. I wanted to order some Shark SC, but there is someone who consistently has swept twice the shop from where i ordered, from every Shark SC they had. He even took the small tucks, not just the 100 boxes! And in one occasion, he swept the Shark SS too. Fortunately they brought new, while the SC are still out of stock. I just want to have a 2nd "forgiving blade", for variety's sake. Otherwise i could just get more Sharks SS. I plan on going into rotation patterns like : Astra (sharp) -> Shark SS (dull) -> Dorco ST301 (sharp) -> Derby (dull) . A bit of giving the skin a rest from the constant BBS that the sharp ones give and have more relaxed shaves (with Shark SS i have very little nick chance, with Derby virtually zero). With AstraSP i didn't have nick, but i can feel it that i might and Dorco gave me weeper. The only problem, is that i 'd rather have Derby less frequently, since it's so dull it's tedious, replaced every other time with another forgiving, cheap blade.

9. lightcs1776

The more you improve your technique, the greater variety of blades you will likely enjoy.

Shave Fu likes this.
  10. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I am pretty much enjoying anything other than Derby already. I just don't want ultrasharp blades, because there is a point where it's overkill and it's easier to nick yourself. Blackbeard the Pirate may need Perma-Sharps. I am just fine with AstraSP and Dorco ST301 as my sharpest blades and don't want anything higher than that. At any case, i just found the blade i was looking for: Super-Max Super Stainless (blue box).

lightcs1776 likes this.
  11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Interestingly enough, i found this from tryablade:

[​IMG]

They are supposed to be teflon coated. That's most interesting, because teflon coated blades should be very smooth. Alas, Derby is also teflon coated but doesn't cut. Still, interesting... That shop has still the blades "on arrival", but if i ever shop from them, i may "risk" the 15EUR model.