Anyone looking at Razor Emporium's Rex Supple Stainless Steel Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey,

I just found out that Razor Emporium is taking pre-orders for an adjustable stainless steel razor they apparently developed over the last few years and will be fully made in the U.S.A. and they call it the "Rex Supply Co. Ambassador".

http://www.razoremporium.com/rex-supply-co-ambassador-adjustable-stainless-steel-de-razor/

Anyone hear about this besides me? Anyone know anything about it or try a secret prototype? Curious if anyone has this on their radar.

Keithmax, Fluffyskiador and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I got an email about it yesterday. I wish I knew its price point. It is still on my radar as yet.

3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

There's a thread on it already...... "Modern adjustable razors" is the title of it...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Preorders are $209. Design based on gibbs. The initial prototype had some type of resin handle. The final design looks great. But at normal price being at $250 it's out of my price range

BamaT likes this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The prices for these vintage-clone "new" razors have gotten ridiculous... JMHO.

1976MGB, RaZorBurn123 and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

no preorder option that I see, only bin at 250

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

There was an email with a link. The preorder will be for a couple of weeks. I would email or call them.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I just did sent them an email, I usually Am informed about new razors but I had no clue about this one... When did they opened the preorders?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Just a couple of days ago

10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

yup I just got reply with a link, the dude is fast lol

11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I almost bought it, but before I did I ended up asking few questions which one of it was: How aggressive is the razor on setting #6. Turns out that setting #6 is comparable Slim setting #7 and I found the Slim on setting #9 somewhere between mil-medium aggressiveness.

I will have to rethink but most likely I will pass considering I like Medium all the way to aggressive razors.

Not a cheap razor but for what it offers I would of bought it, this might be for people who are more into mild shavers.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

That is kind of mild. But the video with ShaveBusta, he has a piece with the rep from RE and he stated that the razor was infinitely adjustable. So it can be adjusted and set to a higher, more aggressive setting. $210-$260, that's a steep price for a Gillette "Modern" clone. Albeit a S/S one, I'll pass on this one. Now if I can find it for $150 or less in the future, I might be in on it....

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's a clone of the 1930s Gibbs adjustable razor, not a Gillette clone. Also, see this Gibbs thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shaving-with-the-gibbs.24069/

Also, here's the first thread about RE's clone: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/razor-emporium-rex-ss-adjustable.55458/

The only way I'd be tempted, for this and any of these other DE, SE, and injector clones flooding the market, is a $100 price point and even then why not just buy the original on eBay. For example, most of the completed eBay listings for the original Gibbs went for less than $50. Granted they aren't stainless steel and were made in France but is there really a $200 premium to stainless?

EDIT: Actually it would be more of a Personna Micrometric/Precision clone since the Gibbs uses a shorter proprietary DE blade where as the Personna Micrometric uses a standard DE. Here's the Personna Micrometric (which itself would be a Gibbs clone with modification since it was made in the 1950s, after the Gibbs):
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/personna-micrometic-adjustable-razor.10686/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Keithmax and Str8on2 like this.
  15. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist and just ordered! I love my Gibbs and Personna adjustables and this should deliver a similar shave....and stainless!...wow!

Fluffyskiador and Enrico like this.
  16. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

WOW !
    Being all Stainless Steel.

riffin likes this.
  17. riffin

riffin Active Member

The Gibbs uses a special blade, so is more akin to the Personna. Okay, I'm splitting hairs...;)

jmudrick likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you are in the market for a $250 razor that looks to be constructed like the Gibbs or Personna, I'd jump on it.

It's out of my price range, but it sure is purdy. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah... Maybe I can find a 250 dollar bill in the sofa cushions.:)

20. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Maybe next year, or the year after. I know it's made in The States and made with SS and it's adjustable and ... I wish the Model T was solid brass .