Anyone remember their dad Shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Knox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I remember him shaving a couple years ago before he vacate in charge of vice narcotics lol now he has a full beard

2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

346x0f4.jpg
    Now that, sir, sounds like both a fantastic thing to look forward to and the makings of wonderful memories. What an uplifting post! Thank you!

3. Ijustmissedthe50s

346x0f4.jpg Hmmm...I have memories of my dad shaving with what I now figure must have been a Tech, switching to one of those Techmatic thingies and then to carts. All I personally remember him using was canned cream. I'd love to know what my older brother remembers.
    Great thread...all I remember my dad doing was one pass, and I doubt he ever thought of it as a one pass shave...it was just shaving. Wet shavers who have been at this linger than I have...fid the renewed interest in wet shaving or the wide variety of products contribute to the whole multi pass methods?

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

When I was a kid I remember my father using a 1940s style super speed and a fatboy. I don’t remember him doing true two pass shaves, but I know that he always did touch ups.

I remember waiting at the barbershop for a haircut as a kid and I was waiting as the barber was shaving a customer. The barber did a three pass shave and I was very confused why he was doing that. I mentioned it to my dad when I got home. My father explained to me the benefits of a multi pass shave all those years ago.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Funny thing is, I think I might have unknowingly inherited his practice. I do a one pass shave with DEs, SEs and injectors, and will go with the grain and then a quick against the grain before moving on to the next area.

6. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

For as long as I can remember, my Dad used an electric. When he passed, Mother gave me his electric Norelco. I bought a new pack of three blades and combs, and used it for years until the battery wouldn't hold a charge long enough to finish a shave. I took it to a repair shop, but I felt it cost too much to have a new battery pack put in it. I put it on a shelf for a while, but I eventually threw it away. Some how, the electric razor just didn't have any sentimental value.

7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Dad enjoyed the shave as much as I enjoyed giving it to him and did I ever get him BBS!

8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Very vaguely. He had a Gillette, don't remember what type. It was a big razor, from memory, around the late 80's. Always used a can of goo and smelled like Old Spice.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My father used a Schick imjector for a while, then switched over to Norelco electrics after that. I never really watched him shave. My maternal grandfather, however let me "shave" with him when I was little. He had a couple of flare tips, one was a black handle. He would give me an empty one, load his with a Gillette or Personna blade (brand was dependent on sale price), and whip up some lather with either Williams or Colgate (see above) with an Ever-Ready brush. We'd lather up and do a north/south pass, then re-lather for a south/north pass. A quick rinse followed by a splash of Skin Bracer. Afterwards my grandmother would feel my face, tell me what a good job I did, and give me a cookie.

10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I remember my dad shaving with a DE razor when I was young. I think of often when I shave.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I can never remember seeing my father shave. I know that he did because he was and is still always clean shaven but I never can remember seeing him do it.
    I wish that he had a cool DE razor that he might pass down to me someday but all I ever remember seeing in the sink drawer were those pink daisy razors and the cheapie yellow Bics.

12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I definitely remember my dad using some kind of DE razor when I was young because I remember him disposing the used blades by slipping them in the slot in the medicine cabinet. Later he switched to some sort of cart that had a blank blade in the package that he would load into a razor for me and we would shave together.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh, I wish I could! He was always quite clean-shaven, so whatever he used worked well. I vaguely recall he had some electric razors(sound effect from his bathroom(, "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ")-Norelco might have been one, because I opened my shaving history by using that.But he would go the wet shave route at times, because I think Skin Bracer and maybe Old Spice were favorites of his, for aftershaves.

14. CaseyS

CaseyS Active Member

I'm pretty sure he used some type of Gillette adjustable and it was TTO (I don't know enough to know if one of those or the other are subsets of each other). I don't remember if he used Barbasol or Gillette shaving cream and I also don't know if either or both of them came with those little caps that just covered the dispenser part but that's what he used.

Norcalnewb, AGHisBBS, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My father loathed DE razors due to some less than pleasant shaves with carbon steel blades in the 50s and 60s. He told me that he enjoyed injectors but I cant remember him using anything other than a cartridge razor. The last iteration was the Fusion for a number of years. He never wavered and used Williams in an Old Spice mug with a banged up boar brush for decades. He had big side burns and a mustache and would only shave when he had to be presentable.

16. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I remember that he used a mug with left over slivers of soap pressed into the bottom of his cup. The razor was a TTo gillette not sure what model, I was only 9 when he passed away, he was 41. When he died his siblings pretty much took whatever they wanted so his shaving stuff disappeared 45 years ago.
    What I remember was the bathroom door open and him lathering up on his face, I at least have his ever-ready badger brush that I use whenever it strikes me to. It still has a perfect shape and lathers up nicely.

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Surely. My father shaved with an electric Norelco. The light switch for the bathroom was outside the door and when we were little, my sister and I would sneak up and turn the lights off (and the razor which was on the same circuit) on him.

18. Ijustmissedthe50s

What a cool memory! 346x0f4.jpg

richgem likes this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My dad was born in 1914. I was the 4th boy down the totem pole. We had Both Gillette and Schick in the house. But, the only razor I can remember my dad using is an electric. He always used Williams lectric shave and finished with old spice.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I remember my father shaving with a Gillette Slim and Pucks of Williams shaving soap. He use a short green and cream shaving brush, so I pick up a green Made Rite #12. Now he uses a Gillette sensor and a can of goo. He switched due to being a little unsteady ... age is catching up to him.