Anyone use canned goo only?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by David W650, Oct 12, 2017.

1. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Not a big fan of canned goo but I did pick up some Nivea canned shaving cream and gel that was on sale locally.

The shave cream was just OK but it had just a little slickness and it left my skin dry. As for the gel I was quite impressed. It had slickness and my face felt great after the shave.

Which made me wonder, does any one just use a canned goo?
    If so why and which one.

Yehuda D, Jim99 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My ex picked up some gel (Edge?) back in the early 80's to use on her legs. I tried it a couple of times but quickly went back to my beat up old brush and old spice. Haven''t tried canned stuff since.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jim99 and Yehuda D like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I use Barbasol once or twice a year. It's almost as good as brush lather. Haven't used edge gel in over a decade.

Good luck finding a regular poster on this forum that is exclusively a can user. @Sabre is exclusively (99% of the time at least) a cartridge user, and that is about as close as you'll come.

The only way I'd be exclusively a can user is if a disability prevented me from using a brush...and that would probably prevent me from using a safety razor as well.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, I tried canned foam exactly twice in my life.

One time was in the early nineties. The other experience was a few years ago, when I was traveling and had forgotten my soap.

In both cases I concluded that it is not for me; too messy, and not better than a real lather.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jim99 and Yehuda D like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I stopped using canned cream almost 3 years ago, but had recently used some while traveling. It was not nearly as slick as even Williams. I'm not going back to canned cream any time soon.

Btw, years back I was buying Edge, Palmolive, Foamy and Barbasol cans before I knew better. My favorites were Palmolive menthol and Edge gel. I've gotten picky since I started wet shaving.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Yehuda D like this.
  6. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm 63 years old and I've used canned stuff (Barbasol and Colgate) a grand total of eight times in my entire life. Barbasol twice, and Colgate the other six times. Am I ever glad I don't use that stuff now, and I don't ever plan to again.

jgreenepa, Spyder, PanChango and 3 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was in a pinch and refused to use goo again ... good hand works.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jim99 like this.
  8. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

So far, I'm the exception to the rule lol. I have tried a couple of creams and soaps that belong to @Amy Warner but don't keep any at my place. That's right...I'm strictly a Barbasol man. I either lather in a mug with a wet brush or put a little on the wet brush and face lather. It's not that I haven't enjoyed the other types of products I've tried, I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool Barbasol user. Its been giving me consistently great shaves with all types of my razors and has done very well by my skin. I don't necessarily have a favorite...have them all...but think I grab for the Pacific Rush a lil more than the others.

MR41, AlDm, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

We have a name for exclusive users of canned goo. It's "Communists." ;)

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Barbasol

MR41, ilts, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

You apply it with a brush. Now that does sound interesting. I may have to give it a try. Old dogs can learn new tricks.

12. Bama Samurai

I use Barbasol with Shavettes. Barbasol lather is way better than people realize.

MR41, wristwatchb, ilts and 6 others like this.
  13. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Had another two shaves using the Nivea Sensitive gel since my last post.

I'm thinking of making a radical change to my shaving routine.

It's working for me as in slickness, ease of use and my skin feels great post shave.

Oh I forgot, it's inexpensive and available locally.

14. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have been wet shaving since the '60's, and I have used lots of canned shave creams.

One of my favorites is made by Aveeno, and smells like oatmeal cookies. But over the last few years, I mostly use a brush and soap or cream from a tube.

I have recently added Barbasol to my rotation. :)

I think the canned shave creams get unwarranted criticism by many converts to traditional shaving. Folks seem to use the name "goo" as a put down.

There are some really good canned products that deserve better, IMHO.

Thanks for sharing yours.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I use the word goo to refer to canned shave gels, as opposed to canned shaving creams. It's definitely a "put down." :)

16. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I'm reluctant to try Barbasol because it is a cream and not a gel. The gel (Nivea) when applied seem to me
    works in moisturizing elements and slickness that creams don't.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I use Barbasol regularly. I have 4 kids in the house and some days I just don't have time to shave using soap & brush.

18. Bama Samurai

Try Aloe or Sensitive. I don't find them drying at all. In the bright side, it's a $2 experiment at the grocery store.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never had drying with Barbasol. The occasional soap, though, but it doesn't bother me.

20. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Hmmm... what the heck. I'll be looking for them tomorrow.
    Thanks